DRM Is Toxic To Culture
Rich
2017-07-09 18:59:20 UTC
https://meshedinsights.com/2017/07/09/drm-is-toxic-to-culture/

Quoting from the URL above:

In pursuit of market control now, deployers of DRM are robbing us of our
culture in perpetuity by enclosing the future commons.

It's possible that you think that unauthorised use of copyrighted music,
films and books is such a serious problem that it's worth giving away a
little of your convenience and freedom in exchange for stopping it. If
you do, I'd like to suggest you think again ? and time is running out.
Approaches to Enforcement

Travelling frequently in Europe, I've had the chance to use two
approaches to the underground/metro/subway, the Paris Metro and the
U-bahn in various German cities. There is a very visible difference
between the two, at least in my experience. Here are some sample
encounters.

In Paris, I bought my Metro ticket and then used it in an automated
barrier to reach the platform. I noticed lowlife furtively scanning the
station and then vaulting the barriers, and I saw armed police at the
station to catch the thieves doing this (they didn't catch any that I
saw, and there were several of each at each station).

By contrast, the U-Bahn in Nürnberg had no barriers. I bought my ticket,
boarded the train without fuss, there was no risk of being shot by a
policeman targeting a barrier-vaulting cheat, and the system was still
clean, efficient and well-used.

The point of the story is there's more than one way to enforce payment,
and the same applies to copyrighted content; it doesn't have to involve
DRM and alternatives exist. The story sprang from a conversation long
ago about DRM. A comment writer on my blog said of this technological
disease:

I might be the only technologist on the other side of the DRM fence. To
me it is like checking my lift ticket when I get on the ski lift. I
might find that a bit annoying, but if ensures the resort can stay in
business from collecting ticket money, then that is a net good thing for
me. If the ski resort goes out of business I can't go skiing, and I
would resent those who got on the lift w/out paying.

I think there are quite a few people around who have a "fair enough"
view like this one, which is unfortunately rather simplistic. DRM ? the
imposition of restrictions on usage of digital content by technical
means, what I call Digital Restriction Measures ? is far more than that.

Marko Rauhamaa
2017-07-09 19:42:55 UTC
Post by Rich
The point of the story is there's more than one way to enforce
payment, and the same applies to copyrighted content; it doesn't
have to involve DRM and alternatives exist. The story sprang from a
conversation long ago about DRM. A comment writer on my blog said
I think copyright laws should be abolished. The governments should not
in any way enforce copyright protections. The entertainment and software
industries are free to implement whatever technological measures to make
their business models thrive but there should be no such thing as a
copyright violation.

Enforcing payment is not an interesting topic. If your business model is
not successful, do something else instead. Maybe the entertainment
industry would collapse. Maybe the software industry would collapse. But
movies, music and other entertainment would keep being make. Similarly,
software would continue to be made.

Marko
Huge
2017-07-09 20:49:43 UTC
Post by Rich
https://meshedinsights.com/2017/07/09/drm-is-toxic-to-culture/
In pursuit of market control now, deployers of DRM are robbing us of our
culture in perpetuity by enclosing the future commons.
[42 lines snipped]

When it's easier to "pirate" content than it is to pay the fee, which it
is, something about the business model is very broken.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 44th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.