Lenovo to release classic, retro Thinkpad
2017-09-06 15:41:51 UTC
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/09/05/224235/lenovo-looks-to-commemorate-25th-anniversary-of-ibms-notebook-brand-with-thinkpad-25

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/04/retro_thinkpad_spotted_in_the_wild/

[Looks like a decent keyboard with sculpted keys, decent arrow keys,
trackpad plus trackpoint - I'm interested!]

Lenovo will be marking the 25th anniversary of IBM's well known
notebook with the Thinkpad 25. Andrew Orlowski writes via The Register:
"The long-awaited 'retro' Thinkpad will be based on the guts of a
contemporary T470 laptop, Lenovo's business workhorse, according to a
German certification site. Lenovo inherited IBM's notebook brand 12
years ago, and with it a design classic. However, in 2012 Lenovo saw
fit to 'modernize' the iconic keyboard, along with other unwelcome
changes. This didn't meet with approval from some stalwarts, who clung
to the superior X220 and T420 lines, the last that you could buy with
the 7 row QWERTY. Two years ago Lenovo's design chief Dave Hill
acknowledged that some people 'would stand in line' for the classic
version. In June, Hill confirmed that for the Thinkpad's 25th
anniversary this year a retro edition would indeed be produced, which
Hill promised 'will embody many of the things people asked for.'

The German certification site has found the 'Thinkpad 25' variant
described as a Thinkpad T470 here (hat-tip to NoteBook Check). A
Chinese notebook forum has a picture purporting to be the Thinkpad 25."
RS Wood <***@therandymon.com>
RS Wood
2017-10-06 13:35:15 UTC
On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 11:41:51 -0400
Post by RS Wood
https://hardware.slashdot.org/story/17/09/05/224235/lenovo-looks-to-commemorate-25th-anniversary-of-ibms-notebook-brand-with-thinkpad-25
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/04/retro_thinkpad_spotted_in_the_wild/
[Looks like a decent keyboard with sculpted keys, decent arrow keys,
trackpad plus trackpoint - I'm interested!]
It's here! Looks like a great machine.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/05/lenovo_retro_thinkpad_25th_anniversary/?page=2

After teasing techies for months, Lenovo has finally unveiled the
ThinkPad 25: a laptop designed to mimic the look and feel of the
legendary IBM ThinkPad but with all modern components.

This 336.6 mm x 232.5 mm x 19.95 mm ThinkPad 25 has the seven-row
keyboard beloved by ThinkPad devotees but which Lenovo dumped in 2011,
the familiar nipple mouse and a special logo and design to celebrate
the 25th anniversary of the first ThinkPad, the 700C, which launched on
October 4, 1992.

“ThinkPad design creates a powerful and synergistic relationship
between form and function. It balances sophisticated aesthetics,
thoughtfully crafted user experiences and renowned engineering in order
to deliver superior products,” said David Hill, former chief design
officer at Lenovo, on Thursday. “25 years after the introduction of the
original 700C, the latest X1 Carbon is immediately recognizable as a
ThinkPad.”

The new machine isn't cheap, even by ThinkPad standards. $1,899 gets
you an Intel Core i7-7500U processor, 16GB of RAM and a 512GB solid
state hard drive with a Nvidia GeForce 940MX 2GB GDDR5 graphics card to
keep things moving.

On the port side, the ThinkPad 25 is lavishly equipped – three USB 3.0
sockets, a USB-C with Intel Thunderbolt 3 port, Ethernet, HDMI, 3.5mm
audio jack, and a four-in-one card reader. The whole unit weighs 1.6 kg
and Lenovo claims the battery will last 14 hours between charges.

There are a few things missing that might upset purists. The keyboard
is backlit but there's no light built into the top of the lid shining
down onto the keys – which used to be very handy for reading documents
in darkened conference sessions.

But as a lifelong ThinkPad devotee it's a tempting purchase, even at
such a high price. Your humble hack's old X220 is one of the last units
with the old-style keyboard, which is why it's in service six years
later despite being so slow to boot you can make a cup of tea and be
back before it's ready to use.

That’s the kind of devotion these machines can elicit in some. The
history of the line is littered with similar cases of people who will
give up their ThinkPads only when our cold, dead fingers are pried off
them.
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-10-06 23:17:41 UTC
It's here! Looks like a great machine.
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/05/lenovo_retro_thinkpad_25th_anniversary/
On the port side, the ThinkPad 25 is lavishly equipped ? three USB 3.0
sockets, a USB-C with Intel Thunderbolt 3 port, Ethernet, HDMI, 3.5mm
audio jack, and a four-in-one card reader.
No UltraBay? No sleepless nights spent agonising over whether to take
the DVD burner, Blu-ray drive, or the second battery? I guess you can't
have everything.
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
RS Wood
2017-10-07 16:58:37 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
No UltraBay? No sleepless nights spent agonising over whether to take
the DVD burner, Blu-ray drive, or the second battery? I guess you can't
have everything.
I never had one of these machines, but a friend did, and I thought that
Ultrabay was one slick feature (it was also in the era where you couldn't be
guaranteed cool hardware and peripherals would work with Linux, so I
wondered if it'd be a waste of my time).

My one complaint is the location of the delete button, but I do love its
size. Other than that, it is one sweet keyboard - I hope they sell
millions, and marketers take note and decide to stop selling us those
horrid, chiclet keyboards.

I know some people really like the new Apple keyboards, but I find them
unusable.
Rich
2017-10-07 19:40:42 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
No UltraBay? No sleepless nights spent agonising over whether to
take the DVD burner, Blu-ray drive, or the second battery? I guess
you can't have everything.
I never had one of these machines, but a friend did, and I thought
that Ultrabay was one slick feature (it was also in the era where you
couldn't be guaranteed cool hardware and peripherals would work with
Linux, so I wondered if it'd be a waste of my time).
I had an IBM Thinkpad T22 (when they were made by IBM, in fact I think
the T22 was even before IBM contracted manufacturing out to Lenovo) for
a few years (until it died one day and refused to turn on again). It
had the ultrabay, but as I'd bought it off ebay long after it was new,
all I ever had for the ultrabay was the dvd reader drive it came with.

But the keyboard on the T22 was very nice. It had an excellent typing
feel for a laptop keyboard. I was disappointed when the machine died
because the keyboard also went away. The wife's old Compaq that she
had not touched for a couple of years at that point served as a nice
replacement, but the Compaq's keyboard is not quite as nice as the old
Thinkpad's keyboard was.
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-10-08 01:59:13 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
No UltraBay? No sleepless nights spent agonising over whether to take
the DVD burner, Blu-ray drive, or the second battery? I guess you can't
have everything.
I never had one of these machines, but a friend did, and I thought that
Ultrabay was one slick feature (it was also in the era where you couldn't be
guaranteed cool hardware and peripherals would work with Linux, so I
wondered if it'd be a waste of my time).
From what I've seen the drives are recognised at the BIOS level, so Linux
just knows them as normal fixed Floppy/IDE/SATA drives. That said, there
have been a lot of Ultrabays:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/UltraBay
Post by RS Wood
My one complaint is the location of the delete button, but I do love its
size. Other than that, it is one sweet keyboard - I hope they sell
millions, and marketers take note and decide to stop selling us those
horrid, chiclet keyboards.
I know some people really like the new Apple keyboards, but I find them
unusable.
Agreed. Though one advantage of having a _really_ bad keyboard, like one
on a Toshiba T1910 I have from the early 90s, is that nobody else can
manage to type on it - great security with a command-line driven OS. :)
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
RS Wood
2017-10-08 16:40:19 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by RS Wood
My one complaint is the location of the delete button, but I do love its
size. Other than that, it is one sweet keyboard - I hope they sell
millions, and marketers take note and decide to stop selling us those
horrid, chiclet keyboards.
I know some people really like the new Apple keyboards, but I find them
unusable.
Agreed. Though one advantage of having a _really_ bad keyboard, like one
on a Toshiba T1910 I have from the early 90s, is that nobody else can
manage to type on it - great security with a command-line driven OS. :)
Dvorak keyboard layout also helps ... suddenly, nobody needs to use your
equipment anymore. I'm told for the same reason, in the USA, a stickshift
transmission is now considered "Millennial theft-proof."

At work, I had an IT guy to show up to help me once, and he brought his own
keyboard and mouse. "I've heard about you from the other guys," he said.
Dvorak for the win!
Paul Sture
2017-10-08 17:13:52 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by RS Wood
[...]
That reminds me of the time I bagged a swishy colour terminal, when the
rest of the office had to make do with monochrome models.

We needed a real example of this terminal, since we officially supported
it with our software. This particular one had a French AZERTY keyboard,
which terrified my colleagues, but I could handle :-)
--
Everybody has a testing environment. Some people are lucky enough to
have a totally separate environment to run production in.
The Real Bev
2017-10-08 17:37:19 UTC
Dvorak keyboard layout also helps ... suddenly, nobody needs to use your
equipment anymore. I'm told for the same reason, in the USA, a stickshift
transmission is now considered "Millennial theft-proof."
At work, I had an IT guy to show up to help me once, and he brought his own
keyboard and mouse. "I've heard about you from the other guys," he said.
Dvorak for the win!
Too old to switch to Dvorak, but I'm hooked on IBM Model M keyboards.
--
Cheers, Bev
"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey
and car keys to teenage boys." -- P.J. O'Rourke
Bob Eager
2017-10-08 23:35:01 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by RS Wood
Dvorak keyboard layout also helps ... suddenly, nobody needs to use
your equipment anymore. I'm told for the same reason, in the USA, a
stickshift transmission is now considered "Millennial theft-proof."
At work, I had an IT guy to show up to help me once, and he brought his
own keyboard and mouse. "I've heard about you from the other guys," he
said. Dvorak for the win!
Too old to switch to Dvorak, but I'm hooked on IBM Model M keyboards.
Me too. I have several.
--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
The Real Bev
2017-10-09 00:00:31 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
Post by The Real Bev
Post by RS Wood
Dvorak keyboard layout also helps ... suddenly, nobody needs to use
your equipment anymore. I'm told for the same reason, in the USA, a
stickshift transmission is now considered "Millennial theft-proof."
At work, I had an IT guy to show up to help me once, and he brought his
own keyboard and mouse. "I've heard about you from the other guys," he
said. Dvorak for the win!
Too old to switch to Dvorak, but I'm hooked on IBM Model M keyboards.
Me too. I have several.
Me too. I thought they were indestructible until I spilled a cop of
coffee into one :-(
--
Cheers, Bev
"Windows Freedom Day: a holiday that moves each year, the date of which
that would correspond to." -- Trygve Lode
Bob Eager
2017-10-09 08:17:41 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Bob Eager
Post by The Real Bev
Post by RS Wood
Dvorak keyboard layout also helps ... suddenly, nobody needs to use
your equipment anymore. I'm told for the same reason, in the USA, a
stickshift transmission is now considered "Millennial theft-proof."
At work, I had an IT guy to show up to help me once, and he brought
his own keyboard and mouse. "I've heard about you from the other
guys," he said. Dvorak for the win!
Too old to switch to Dvorak, but I'm hooked on IBM Model M keyboards.
Me too. I have several.
Me too. I thought they were indestructible until I spilled a cop of
coffee into one :-(
Probably still fixable if you're prepared to drill out some rivets.

http://www.mirrorservice.org
Kenny McCormack
2018-04-26 12:00:23 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
Post by The Real Bev
Post by RS Wood
Dvorak keyboard layout also helps ... suddenly, nobody needs to use
your equipment anymore. I'm told for the same reason, in the USA, a
stickshift transmission is now considered "Millennial theft-proof."
At work, I had an IT guy to show up to help me once, and he brought his
own keyboard and mouse. "I've heard about you from the other guys," he
said. Dvorak for the win!
Too old to switch to Dvorak, but I'm hooked on IBM Model M keyboards.
Me too. I have several.
Does every thread here eventually devolve into yakking about keyboards?
http://user.xmission.com/~gazelle/Sigs/DanQuayle
RS Wood
Six months ago, that would've been a salient point. Now, not so much.
Sylvia Else
2018-05-11 06:18:08 UTC
[...]
Running Windows 3.1?

Sylvia.
Dirk T. Verbeek
Sylvia.
Roger Blake
2018-05-14 23:40:35 UTC
Post by Dirk T. Verbeek
Worse, much worse.
If the hardware is Linux or BSD compatible that can be fixed easily enough.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org