new Skype sucks
2017-07-06 18:14:29 UTC
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/05/skype_app_slammed_in_user_reviews/

Microsoft last month declared that it had rebuilt its Skype app "from
the ground up." Those who use the app have been busy tearing it down.

Reviews of the Android and iOS versions of the app have been mostly
terrible, and those posted to the Windows App Store have not been much
better.

Chief among the issues is that the redesign imagines Skype as a
youth-oriented social media app along the lines of Instagram or
Snapchat, rather than a staid business communications tool.

"This new app is absolutely terrible," observes an individual posting
to Google Play under the name Külli Kelder. "Skype is mostly used by
people for professional use or for connecting with friends far away.
This looks as far from simple and professional as it can be. Skype does
NOT need to be Snapchat."

The Skype team clearly has a different view of its work. "We think it's
the best Skype we've ever built – inside and out – and it's been
designed to make it easier for you to use for your everyday
communications," the company said last month.

A few individuals have expressed similar enthusiasm, but among those
reviewing the most recent update, one-star ratings dominate.
RS Wood <***@therandymon.com>
Andy Burns
2017-07-06 21:35:02 UTC
the redesign imagines Skype as a youth-oriented social media app
along the lines of Instagram or Snapchat, rather than a staid
business communications tool.
They have Skype For Business (aka Lync) for the business customers, so
presumably they feel a need to differentiate the plain old Skype users,
I understand the two products can communicate but I've never tried it.
Kieren
2017-07-07 06:59:28 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
the redesign imagines Skype as a youth-oriented social media app along
the lines of Instagram or Snapchat, rather than a staid business
communications tool.
They have Skype For Business (aka Lync) for the business customers, so
presumably they feel a need to differentiate the plain old Skype users, I
understand the two products can communicate but I've never tried it.
They work quite well together, Skype for Business and Skype. A lot better
than CISCO Jabber to ... well, anyone outside of your business.

The new Skype App on Windows Phone is rather good. I like the fact I can
read and send text messages now from my Skype Desktop client, as my phone
and PC are in sync.
Ian McCall
2017-07-07 19:15:17 UTC
Post by Kieren
They work quite well together, Skype for Business and Skype. A lot better
than CISCO Jabber to ... well, anyone outside of your business.
They're appalling. Skype for Business is constantly moaned about at my
work. Constant hanging, dropping audio, terrible cut'n'paste, auto
emoji with no way to turn it off - appalling in a business setting
where I'm trine to do a) this point and b) this other point and what
comes out is some daft angel and a pint of beer.

Share content hangs my machine if someone starts resizing the content,
and I regularly get 30 second pauses (as do others) which can be
'fixed' by killing lynctohtmlconv.exe

It's hideous.

Cheers,
Ian
Ant
2017-07-07 20:35:37 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
the redesign imagines Skype as a youth-oriented social media app along
the lines of Instagram or Snapchat, rather than a staid business
communications tool.
They have Skype For Business (aka Lync) for the business customers, so
presumably they feel a need to differentiate the plain old Skype users, I
understand the two products can communicate but I've never tried it.
They work quite well together, Skype for Business and Skype. A lot better
than CISCO Jabber to ... well, anyone outside of your business.
I'd rather use Cisco's Jabber than the current consumer Skype!
The new Skype App on Windows Phone is rather good. I like the fact I can
read and send text messages now from my Skype Desktop client, as my phone
and PC are in sync.
Who still uses Windows Phones these days? I bet MS made it good to get
more users on it! ;P
--
Quote of the Week: Captain Marvel: Shazam. Billy Batson: Now put her
down. Black Adam: See? Like an ant. --Superman/Shazam!: The Return of
( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
Marko Rauhamaa
2017-07-07 20:43:34 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Kieren
The new Skype App on Windows Phone is rather good. I like the fact I
can read and send text messages now from my Skype Desktop client, as
my phone and PC are in sync.
Who still uses Windows Phones these days?
I do. I'd need to buy a replacement but they don't sell them anymore.
Post by Ant
I bet MS made it good to get more users on it! ;P
I haven't tried Skype on my phone because in order to install it I'd
need to grant it a right to keep track of my location. I have no idea
what Skype would need my location for.

Marko
Kieren
2017-07-07 20:47:33 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Ant
Post by Kieren
The new Skype App on Windows Phone is rather good. I like the fact I
can read and send text messages now from my Skype Desktop client, as
my phone and PC are in sync.
Who still uses Windows Phones these days?
I do. I'd need to buy a replacement but they don't sell them anymore.
You can still get new ones in the UK. They are selling the HP elites, which
are rather swanky, along with the Lumia 950XLs. I still have the Nokia 1020,
flashed to run Windows 10.
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Ant
I bet MS made it good to get more users on it! ;P
I haven't tried Skype on my phone because in order to install it I'd need
to grant it a right to keep track of my location. I have no idea what
Skype would need my location for.
No idea.... and prob dont want to know! :p
Marko
Ant
2017-07-07 21:27:39 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Ant
Post by Kieren
The new Skype App on Windows Phone is rather good. I like the fact I
can read and send text messages now from my Skype Desktop client, as
my phone and PC are in sync.
Who still uses Windows Phones these days?
I do. I'd need to buy a replacement but they don't sell them anymore.
Ah. :(
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Ant
I bet MS made it good to get more users on it! ;P
I haven't tried Skype on my phone because in order to install it I'd
need to grant it a right to keep track of my location. I have no idea
what Skype would need my location for.
I hate it when softwares do that. :(
Kieren
2017-07-07 20:44:15 UTC
Post by Ant
Post by Andy Burns
[...]
Prob about the same amount of people that use BlackBerry :) I agree with
you.... getting it right, at the "end of life" product stage, isn't an award
winning business plan, Microsoft...
Huge
2017-07-08 08:48:40 UTC
Post by Kieren
Post by Ant
Post by Andy Burns
[...]
The Z10 is quite a good phone ...
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 43rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
If you have a problem with my attitude, that's your problem.
Kieren
2017-07-08 12:05:05 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Kieren
Post by Ant
Post by Andy Burns
[...]
It's an excellent phone. The BlackBerry's 10.3 OS devices were/are
excellent. It is just a shame that the marketing department was not as good,
and that yet again, it all comes down to app availabilty.

My favourite OS for mobiles is still Sailfish OS, but that system is also
cursed with the same problems.
Huge
2017-07-08 13:02:13 UTC
[29 lines snipped]
Post by Kieren
Post by Huge
Post by Kieren
Post by Ant
Who still uses Windows Phones these days? I bet MS made it good to get
more users on it! ;P
Prob about the same amount of people that use BlackBerry :)
The Z10 is quite a good phone ...
It's an excellent phone. The BlackBerry's 10.3 OS devices were/are
excellent. It is just a shame that the marketing department was not as good,
and that yet again, it all comes down to app availabilty.
You do know that Z10 devices can run Android apps? The vast majority
of the ones I've tried work just fine.
Marko Rauhamaa
2017-07-08 15:57:11 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Kieren
It's an excellent phone. The BlackBerry's 10.3 OS devices were/are
excellent. It is just a shame that the marketing department was not
as good, and that yet again, it all comes down to app availabilty.
You do know that Z10 devices can run Android apps? The vast majority
of the ones I've tried work just fine.
The reason I don't want to go Android is that I would practically be
forced to let Google own my phone.

Marko
Huge
2017-07-08 17:03:06 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Huge
Post by Kieren
It's an excellent phone. The BlackBerry's 10.3 OS devices were/are
excellent. It is just a shame that the marketing department was not
as good, and that yet again, it all comes down to app availabilty.
You do know that Z10 devices can run Android apps? The vast majority
of the ones I've tried work just fine.
The reason I don't want to go Android
You don't have to. I repeat, Android apps run on the Z10. Under QNX.
Marko Rauhamaa
2017-07-08 17:29:12 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Huge
You do know that Z10 devices can run Android apps? The vast majority
of the ones I've tried work just fine.
The reason I don't want to go Android
You don't have to. I repeat, Android apps run on the Z10. Under QNX.
I have read to problem is not Android, it's Google Play. In order to get
Google Play apps, you need to hand the keys to Google.

Marko
Huge
2017-07-08 19:54:49 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Huge
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Huge
You do know that Z10 devices can run Android apps? The vast majority
of the ones I've tried work just fine.
The reason I don't want to go Android
You don't have to. I repeat, Android apps run on the Z10. Under QNX.
I have read to problem is not Android, it's Google Play. In order to get
Google Play apps, you need to hand the keys to Google.
Nope.

http://redlightoflove.com/snap/

(This is the correct URL. Ignore the awful domain name.)
Kieren
2017-07-08 21:45:32 UTC
Post by Huge
[29 lines snipped]
Post by Kieren
Post by Huge
Post by Kieren
Post by Ant
Who still uses Windows Phones these days? I bet MS made it good to
get more users on it! ;P
Prob about the same amount of people that use BlackBerry :)
The Z10 is quite a good phone ...
It's an excellent phone. The BlackBerry's 10.3 OS devices were/are
excellent. It is just a shame that the marketing department was not as
good, and that yet again, it all comes down to app availabilty.
You do know that Z10 devices can run Android apps? The vast majority of
the ones I've tried work just fine.
Skype and ICQ caused me loads of problems on the BlackBerry Classic (Q20),
so I ended up just using it for work.

Ant