Washed up
Sn!pe
2017-07-14 21:33:26 UTC
After all this time I seem to have at last washed up on
the comp.misc beach. I spy a few other castaways that
I recognise; I wonder, will they recognise me? [waves]

Anyway, here I am, for good or ill. Are the natives friendly?
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <***@gmail.com>

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Andy Burns
2017-07-14 22:02:47 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
Are the natives friendly?
Quite frequently, and things don't veer off-topic quite as far, or fast
as in a.f.computers :-)
RS Wood
2017-07-15 01:14:00 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Sn!pe
Are the natives friendly?
Quite frequently, and things don't veer off-topic quite as far, or fast
as in a.f.computers :-)
As long as the asshattery that makes up the daily news experience of
news.software.readers stays over there, and doesn't infect this relatively
civil place.
Sn!pe
2017-07-15 14:48:27 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Sn!pe
Are the natives friendly?
Quite frequently, and things don't veer off-topic quite as far, or fast
as in a.f.computers :-)
As long as the asshattery that makes up the daily news experience of
news.software.readers stays over there, and doesn't infect this relatively
civil place.
Indeed, athough I'm not quite sure that I know what you mean
by asshattery in news.software.readers. I've been reading nsr
for 15 years or so and found it to be generally more or less
sane (Relf-droppings aside, obviously). I do read nsr on a
Cleanfeed newsserver though, maybe that accounts for my own
good experience of it.

When it comes to my own asshattery, I try to keep that in alt.*
and away from Big-8 groups; everyone needs a hobby, you know.
But I can well understand your protectiveness regarding the
civility in here; there is all too little civility to be found
in the morass that is latter-day Usenet.

If it should regrettably happen that my stalker(s) follow me here,
I'm sure the group will know what to do with them.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <***@gmail.com>

My pet rock Gordon just is.
RS Wood
2017-07-15 23:41:17 UTC
Indeed, athough I'm not quite sure that I know what you mean by asshattery
in news.software.readers. I've been reading nsr for 15 years or so and
found it to be generally more or less sane (Relf-droppings aside,
obviously). I do read nsr on a Cleanfeed newsserver though, maybe that
accounts for my own good experience of it.
I should've been more polite first and welcomed you first. My disparaging
remark was aimed at that NG, not at you.
Sn!pe
2017-07-16 05:32:23 UTC
Indeed, athough I'm not quite sure that I know what you mean by asshattery
in news.software.readers. I've been reading nsr for 15 years or so and
found it to be generally more or less sane (Relf-droppings aside,
obviously). I do read nsr on a Cleanfeed newsserver though, maybe that
accounts for my own good experience of it.
I should've been more polite first and welcomed you first. My disparaging
remark was aimed at that NG, not at you.
No problem, RSW, I'm pleased to meet you.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <***@gmail.com>

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Paul Sture
2017-07-15 16:51:52 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Sn!pe
Are the natives friendly?
Quite frequently, and things don't veer off-topic quite as far, or fast
as in a.f.computers :-)
As long as the asshattery that makes up the daily news experience of
news.software.readers stays over there, and doesn't infect this relatively
civil place.
Proof that every cloud has a silver lining.

n.s.r. persuaded me to invest some time in learning how to filter more
effectively in both leafnode and slrn. :-)
--
Everybody has a testing environment. Some people are lucky enough to
have a totally separate environment to run production in.
Mike Spencer
2017-07-15 07:13:49 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
After all this time I seem to have at last washed up on
the comp.misc beach. I spy a few other castaways that
I recognise; I wonder, will they recognise me? [waves]
Haven't I seen^H^H^H^H read you on the other side of the pond?
Post by Sn!pe
Anyway, here I am, for good or ill. Are the natives friendly?
Would you like us to be? Good-oh.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Sn!pe
2017-07-15 14:48:27 UTC
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by Sn!pe
After all this time I seem to have at last washed up on
the comp.misc beach. I spy a few other castaways that
I recognise; I wonder, will they recognise me? [waves]
Haven't I seen^H^H^H^H read you on the other side of the pond?
If by that you mean in the temporary erection at the end
of the garden path - yes, you have indeed, Mike.
Post by Mike Spencer
Post by Sn!pe
Anyway, here I am, for good or ill. Are the natives friendly?
Would you like us to be? Good-oh.
That sounds encouragingly like a welcome, thanks, Mike.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <***@gmail.com>

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Whiskers
2017-07-15 12:42:21 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
After all this time I seem to have at last washed up on
the comp.misc beach. I spy a few other castaways that
I recognise; I wonder, will they recognise me? [waves]
Anyway, here I am, for good or ill. Are the natives friendly?
Grumpy, but not unfriendly, I think. Hello :))
--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
-- ~~~~~~~~~~
Sn!pe
2017-07-15 14:48:26 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Sn!pe
After all this time I seem to have at last washed up on
the comp.misc beach. I spy a few other castaways that
I recognise; I wonder, will they recognise me? [waves]
Anyway, here I am, for good or ill. Are the natives friendly?
Grumpy, but not unfriendly, I think. Hello :))
Hi, Whiskers. As it happens, I can do grumpy too
when the occasion demands it; I trust that it won't.

Anyway, I'll just sit over here in the corner until
I have something to say, if that's alright.
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <***@gmail.com>

My pet rock Gordon just is.
Paul Sture
2017-07-15 16:48:36 UTC
Post by Whiskers
Post by Sn!pe
After all this time I seem to have at last washed up on
the comp.misc beach. I spy a few other castaways that
I recognise; I wonder, will they recognise me? [waves]
Anyway, here I am, for good or ill. Are the natives friendly?
Grumpy, but not unfriendly, I think. Hello :))
Aha. "comp.misc, the older, grumpier, version of Slashdot."

(adapted from a sig line by Paul Repacholi, sadly no longer with us, who
applied the same observation to comp.os.vms)
Paul Sture
2017-07-15 16:53:50 UTC
Post by Sn!pe
After all this time I seem to have at last washed up on
the comp.misc beach. I spy a few other castaways that
I recognise; I wonder, will they recognise me? [waves]
Anyway, here I am, for good or ill. Are the natives friendly?
Welcome Snipe. [waves back]
Sn!pe
2017-07-15 17:06:57 UTC
Post by Paul Sture
Post by Sn!pe
After all this time I seem to have at last washed up on
the comp.misc beach. I spy a few other castaways that
I recognise; I wonder, will they recognise me? [waves]
Anyway, here I am, for good or ill. Are the natives friendly?
Welcome Snipe. [waves back]
Thanks, Paul, it's good to feel welcome. <g>
--
^Ï^. Sn!pe <***@gmail.com>

My pet rock Gordon just is.