Traffic cameras running Windoze?
Sylvia Else
2017-06-25 09:16:44 UTC
"All of Victoria's 280 red light and speed cameras will be reviewed in
the coming weeks to make sure they have not been infected with a
software virus, but officials have warned they will still be operational."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-24/victoria-speed-red-light-camera-network-to-be-reviewed/8649196

You mean these devices are running Windows? Talk about heavyweight design.

Sylvia.
Huge
2017-06-25 09:21:44 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
"All of Victoria's 280 red light and speed cameras will be reviewed in
the coming weeks to make sure they have not been infected with a
software virus, but officials have warned they will still be operational."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-24/victoria-speed-red-light-camera-network-to-be-reviewed/8649196
You mean these devices are running Windows? Talk about heavyweight design.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_IoT

I have a small collection of photos of the screens of crashed (or otherwise
broken) Windows Embedded systems. I've only ever seen one broken Linux
one, but I wasn't in a position to photograph it.
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 30th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
If you have a problem with my attitude, that's your problem.
Richard Kettlewell
2017-06-25 09:27:10 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
"All of Victoria's 280 red light and speed cameras will be reviewed in
the coming weeks to make sure they have not been infected with a
software virus, but officials have warned they will still be
operational."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-24/victoria-speed-red-light-camera-network-to-be-reviewed/8649196
You mean these devices are running Windows? Talk about heavyweight design.
Cashpoints, tills, physical access control, passenger information
systems, you name it: they’ve been running general purpose operating
systems for years (not just Windows). I doubt that the OS is the
expensive bit in most such systems.
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Huge
2017-06-25 10:44:26 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
"All of Victoria's 280 red light and speed cameras will be reviewed in
the coming weeks to make sure they have not been infected with a
software virus, but officials have warned they will still be
operational."
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-24/victoria-speed-red-light-camera-network-to-be-reviewed/8649196
You mean these devices are running Windows? Talk about heavyweight design.
... tills, ...
Which increasingly seem to be iPads plugged into a cash drawer.