You are not Google
2017-06-10 23:30:45 UTC
From the «go microservice your ass» department:
Title: You Are Not Google
Author: n1
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 08:07:00 -0400
Link: https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=17/06/10/0120212&from=rss

charon[1] writes:

Software engineers go crazy for the most ridiculous things. We like to think
that we're hyper-rational, but when we have to choose a technology, we end up
in a kind of frenzy — bouncing from one person's Hacker News comment to
another's blog post until, in a stupor, we float helplessly toward the
brightest light and lay prone in front of it, oblivious to what we were
looking for in the first place.

This is not how rational people make decisions, but it is how software
engineers decide to use MapReduce.

As Joe Hellerstein sideranted to his undergrad databases class[2] (54 min
in):

The thing is there's like 5 companies in the world that run jobs that big.
For everybody else... you're doing all this I/O for fault tolerance that
you didn't really need. People got kinda Google mania in the 2000s: "we'll
do everything the way Google does because we also run the world's largest
internet data service" [tilts head sideways and waits for laughter]

Having more fault tolerance than you need might sound fine, but consider the
cost: not only would you be doing much more I/O, you might be switching from
a mature system—with stuff like transactions, indexes, and query
optimizers—to something relatively threadbare. What a major step backwards.
How many Hadoop users make these tradeoffs consciously? How many of those
users make these tradeoffs wisely?

Source: https://blog.bradfieldcs.com/you-are-not-google-84912cf44afb[3]

Original Submission[4]

Read more of this story[5] at SoylentNews.

Links:
[1]: http://soylentnews.org/~charon/ (link)
[2]: https://archive.org/details/ucberkeley_webcast_NSKvCVFmk2E (link)
[3]: https://blog.bradfieldcs.com/you-are-not-google-84912cf44afb (link)
[4]: http://soylentnews.org/submit.pl?op=viewsub&subid=20679 (link)
[5]: https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=17/06/10/0120212&from=rss (link)
Stefan Ram
2017-06-11 14:45:38 UTC
do everything the way Google does
This might be an instance of

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult_programming

.