LowRISC
2017-06-11 02:38:53 UTC
From the «but does it come pre-rooted, like Intel?» department:
Title: LowRISC Announces its 0.4 Milestone Release
Author: takyon
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 18:54:00 -0400
Link: https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=17/06/10/2035225&from=rss

An Anonymous Coward writes:

lowRISC[1] is a project to create a "fully open-sourced, Linux-capable,
system-on-a-chip"; it is based around RISC-V[2], the "Free and Open RISC
Instruction Set Architecture", which is meant to provide an extensible platform
that scales from low-level microcontrollers up to highly parallel,
high-bandwidth general-purpose supercomputers.

Here is the release announcement[3]:

The lowRISC 0.4 milestone release is now available. The various changes are
best described in our accompanying documentation[4], but in summary this
release:

*
Moves forward our support for tagged memory by re-integrating the tag
cache, reducing overhead with a hierarchical scheme[5]. This will
significantly reduce caches misses caused by tagged memory accesses where
tags are distributed sparsely.
*
Integrates support for specifying and configuring tag propagation and
exception behaviour[6].
*
A PULPino[7] based "minion core" has been integrated, and is used to
provide peripherals such as the SD card interface, keyboard, and VGA tex
display (when using the Nexys4 DDR FPGA development board).

Please report any issues on our GitHub repository[8], or discuss on our
mailing list[9]. As always, thank you to everyone who has contributed in any
way - whether it's advice and feedback, bug reports, code, or ideas.

Original Submission[10]

Read more of this story[11] at SoylentNews.

Links:
[1]: http://www.lowrisc.org/ (link)
[2]: https://riscv.org/ (link)
[3]: http://www.lowrisc.org/blog/2017/06/lowrisc-0-4-milestone-release/ (link)
[4]: http://www.lowrisc.org/docs/minion-v0.4/ (link)
[5]: http://www.lowrisc.org/docs/minion-v0.4/tag_cache/ (link)
[6]: http://www.lowrisc.org/docs/minion-v0.4/tag_core/ (link)
[7]: http://www.pulp-platform.org/ (link)
[8]: https://github.com/lowRISC/lowrisc-chip (link)
[10]: http://soylentnews.org/submit.pl?op=viewsub&subid=20676 (link)
[11]: https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=17/06/10/2035225&from=rss (link)

Posting to comp.misc, sci.misc, and misc.news.internet.discuss
Vassilis Spiliopoulos
2017-06-11 20:07:46 UTC
Title: LowRISC Announces its 0.4 Milestone Release
Author: takyon
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 18:54:00 -0400
[...]
---
http://www.avg.com
So what they did was to design an open-source microprocessor?