[Link Posting] Thinner and Lighter Laptops Have Screwed Us All
Add Reply
Rich
2018-07-25 03:13:39 UTC
# ATTENTION: This post is a reference to a website. The poster of #
# this Usenet article is not the author of the referenced website. #

<URL:https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/9kmkve/thinner-and-light
er-laptops-have-screwed-us-all>
Over the last few days we've seen outcry about Apple's new MacBook Pro,
which offers an optional top-end i9 processor, and how its performance
is throttled to the point of parody as the laptop heats up over time.
Sparked by a video from YouTuber Dave Lee, who demonstrates that the
only way to get Apple's quoted performance from the MacBook Pro is by
keeping it in a refrigerator, the outcry has been brutal.
Thousands of comments on the video say things like "Wow if it cant even
maintain stock speeds that's pretty sad" and "Apple should offer a
fridge that goes with the Macbook i9," but the sobering reality is that
this practice is normal across laptops - we're just starting to see it
more often.
As our expectations have shifted for how we get work done with
computers, it's become popular to try and foist even the most demanding
workloads - like video rendering, software development, and high-end
gaming, on laptops. It's been a fun shift to be a part of, and the
things you can do with a laptop now are wild: VR on the go, or rendering
motion graphics on a train, but for day-to-day, the shift has messed
with our perception of what ?performance' means.
Desktop computers faded in popularity over the last decade, but many of
the tasks we're demanding from our laptops simply can't compete with the
raw power of a desktop in the physical constraints of their form
factors. The problem, almost always, comes back to heat: there's too
much of it, and not enough space to get rid of it.
The shift away from desktop computers and toward laptops can be blamed
on enterprises, and the ?bring your own device' movement, which was
designed to save money. Instead of needing to provide a computer on
every desk for employees, the employer could provide a laptop that can
be used on the go as well - or even require you to bring your own
hardware. At VICE Media, for example, most employees are given Apple
laptops.
The company saves money, and your desk gets a docking station, so you
feel happy knowing you can use that comfy, familiar device. But the
tradeoff is that even a high-end laptop is going to struggle to compete
with the specifications of reasonable desktop computer.
2018-07-25 18:14:25 UTC
On Wed, 25 Jul 2018 03:13:39 +0000 (UTC)
Desktop computers faded in popularity over the last decade, but many of
the tasks we're demanding from our laptops simply can't compete with the
raw power of a desktop in the physical constraints of their form
factors. The problem, almost always, comes back to heat: there's too
much of it, and not enough space to get rid of it.
Hear hear! I've decided I'm too ornery a customer to consider buying
any laptop at all. I like good/real keyboards, and lots of screen real
estate, etc. Apple's laptops seem too fragile, and the competition is
heavy or incompatible with my favorite OSes.

Desktop all the way, and when I'm on the road, too bad - I'll get back
in touch later!

(my ideal laptop would have a sweet mechanical keyboard, a screen
that's taller than it is wide for documents, and have a trackball on
the side).

My Apple Powerbook G4 had one of the nicest laptop keyboards I'd ever
experienced: lovely weight, sculpted so each key was slightly concave.

http://www.usedmac.com/products/powerbook-parts/powerbook-g4-12-aluminum-parts/076-0982-powerbook-keyboard-g4-al-12867-1-133-15ghz-pre-own

It was probably rubber dome underneath, but it was truly nice to type
on. Just afterwards they invented these shitty chiclet keyboards that
were an abomination until the new Mac butterfly keyboards - currently
part of a class action lawsuit - made even those look okay in
comparison.
Ant
2018-07-25 20:55:58 UTC
[...]
I still have my 15" PB G4 1 GHZ from 2002. Its keyboard was OK. I prefer clicky
keyboards like Model M. I wished those existed inside (laptop/notebook)s. :(

Desktops for me too especially for gaming even though I don't play much like I
used to when I was younger.
--
Quote of the Week: "Ants never sleep." --Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet
/\___/\Ant(Dude) @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org / http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )
Batchman
2018-07-25 23:21:40 UTC
Post by Rich
<URL:https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/9kmkve/thinner-and-light
er-laptops-have-screwed-us-all>
[snip]
Post by Rich
Sparked by a video from YouTuber Dave Lee, who demonstrates that the
only way to get Apple's quoted performance from the MacBook Pro is by
keeping it in a refrigerator, the outcry has been brutal.
Recently I have become aware that some HP laptops should be reclassified as
vacuum cleaners!

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01657439