Lobotomizing Gnome
2018-05-30 21:39:39 UTC
From the «UI/UX is for wimps» department:
Title: Lobotomizing GNOME
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Wed, 30 May 2018 11:29:47 -0400
Link: http://osnews.com/story/30419/Lobotomizing_GNOME

But I'll be honest: GNOME is huge and kind of bloated, and it's hard to
disable various unwanted components. GNOME Shell is amazing, but a lot of the
other components of GNOME are simply unwanted. This is what turns a lot of
power users away from GNOME, which I think is a shame given all of the other
amazing things about GNOME. While you won't find these instructions in the
GNOME manuals, if you know what you're doing modern GNOME releases make it
very easy to lobotomize a lot of the unneeded and unwanted features[1].

Links:
[1]: https://eklitzke.org/lobotomizing-gnome (link)
Andy Burns
2018-05-31 10:00:01 UTC
GNOME Shell is amazing
Not sure I'd even agree with Thom on that point ...
RS Wood
2018-05-31 23:57:59 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by RS Wood
GNOME Shell is amazing
Not sure I'd even agree with Thom on that point ...
It's not Thom's point (actually, I wonder what Thom *does* think about
Gnome, since the OSNews folks are so picky about user experience, etc.

The author starts by saying he prefers Gnome3 because of its exquisite
attention to detail, font kerning, graphics, etc. but that he hates all the
daemons and other stuff that make it slow. And then he methodically starts
ripping that stuff out.

Personally I'm just not seeing it though. I mean, is the Gnome3 graphical
experience really that much exceptional that it outshines everything else
(but requires you to lobotomize it for simplicity)?

I was happy enough with Blackbox and un-antialiased fonts in the terminal
back in 2002 or so (although I was super happy to have them in the desktop
itself when KDE2/KDE3 and Gnome2 finally got that fixed.

Like the author, I like the desktop/OS to take care of network connections,
battery level, etc., and then stay the fuck out of my way. But I can get
that from a minimal Windowmaker, openbox, or stumpwm install. I truly don't
see where Gnome3 brings much extra value, and I'm not seeing the font
kerning horrors that prevent this guy from using anything else.

I will say that after being a KDE guy since 2000, I tried Cinnamon and loved
it, and now when I go back to KDE it doesn't look as nice as I remembered,
starting from the second I log in and the stupid password vault needs me to
insert my password *again*. Get it together, guys! Cinnamon is really
amazing, and although it's not my personal preference, MATE is pretty
freaking great too these days.
Roger Blake
2018-06-01 17:52:00 UTC
I will say that after being a KDE guy since 2000, I tried Cinnamon and loved
it, and now when I go back to KDE it doesn't look as nice as I remembered,
starting from the second I log in and the stupid password vault needs me to
insert my password *again*. Get it together, guys! Cinnamon is really
amazing, and although it's not my personal preference, MATE is pretty
freaking great too these days.
I've pretty much landed on MATE at this point, I always liked the old
Gnome 2 GUI. Also using XFCE on some older systems, and LXDE for a
couple of ancient netbooks in the stable. I don't care at all for the
modern tendancy to make everything look like a fricking smart phone
or tablet.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org