Mozilla to start sponsored links
2018-05-01 11:02:31 UTC
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/01/sponsored_links_come_to_firefox/

//--clip
Mozilla flagged it would add sponsored links to its browser in January
2018, after the 2017 acquisition of web-clipping service Pocket brought
with it the technology to do so.

Now it turns out the organisation has already squeezed in a few
functionality to Firefox nightly builds and Beta releases.

Pocket-powered sponsored links will now “… go fully live in May to
Firefox users in the US with the Firefox 60 release.”

That’s due on May 9th, 2018.

Mozilla thinks you won’t mind this because all the analytics is done on
the client and personal information is never requested or sent to a
server somewhere. The organisation does collect some info but
characterises it as “technical and interaction data” and swears it
cannot possibly identify you (it’s described in detail here).
//--clip

Note, their sponsored "tiles" program in 2014 was halted.

Alternative browsers:
Pale Moon: http://palemoon.org
Vivaldi: http://vivaldi.com
The Alternative Browser Allliance: http://alternativebrowseralliance.com (dated)
And while we're at it,
Righteous indignation: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/righteous-indignation
RS Wood <***@therandymon.com>
Andy Burns
2018-05-01 18:09:16 UTC
Mozilla flagged it would add sponsored links to its browser in January
2018, after the 2017 acquisition of web-clipping service Pocket brought
with it the technology to do so.
about:config
extensions.pocket.enabled=false
Batchman
Thanks to R.S.W and A.B!
mm0fmf
2018-05-02 19:30:10 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by RS Wood
Mozilla flagged it would add sponsored links to its browser in January
2018, after the 2017 acquisition of web-clipping service Pocket brought
with it the technology to do so.
about:config
extensions.pocket.enabled=false
How long will this remain feasible? No point adding sponsored links and
letting the marks (i.e. the users) turn them off this easily.
Rich
2018-05-02 20:30:18 UTC
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Andy Burns
Post by RS Wood
Mozilla flagged it would add sponsored links to its browser in January
2018, after the 2017 acquisition of web-clipping service Pocket brought
with it the technology to do so.
about:config
extensions.pocket.enabled=false
How long will this remain feasible? No point adding sponsored links and
letting the marks (i.e. the users) turn them off this easily.
Given that likely 95% of the marks don't even know about "about:config"
in the first place, and 95% of those who do get scared off by the
initial first time "warning, you might break things beyond repair here"
alert that pops up, it likely is not going to be an issue.

Yes, all us techie users will turn it off (I just did), but more than
enough will leave it on that those of us who turn it off will be below
the noise floor.
Computer Nerd Kev
2018-05-03 23:04:21 UTC
Post by Rich
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Andy Burns
Post by RS Wood
Mozilla flagged it would add sponsored links to its browser in January
2018, after the 2017 acquisition of web-clipping service Pocket brought
with it the technology to do so.
about:config
extensions.pocket.enabled=false
How long will this remain feasible? No point adding sponsored links and
letting the marks (i.e. the users) turn them off this easily.
Given that likely 95% of the marks don't even know about "about:config"
in the first place, and 95% of those who do get scared off by the
initial first time "warning, you might break things beyond repair here"
alert that pops up, it likely is not going to be an issue.
Yes, all us techie users will turn it off (I just did), but more than
enough will leave it on that those of us who turn it off will be below
the noise floor.
They still took out the about:config option that allowed you to set
your own search URL for searching from the address bar, in preference
to their search plug-ins system.

Also, I've been scared off looking into how Firefox plug-ins work, but
I suspect having an about:config option would make designing a plug-in
to toggle the functionality much easier (if not all out possible).
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
RS Wood
2018-05-04 13:40:37 UTC
On Thu, 3 May 2018 23:04:21 +0000 (UTC)
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
They still took out the about:config option that allowed you to set
your own search URL for searching from the address bar, in preference
to their search plug-ins system.
Also, I've been scared off looking into how Firefox plug-ins work, but
I suspect having an about:config option would make designing a plug-in
to toggle the functionality much easier (if not all out possible).
Sadly, a lot of the reasons I liked Firefox have now been removed. I
REALLY liked the "It's all text" plug in that allows you to use any
text editor of your preference to edit form fields. The new API for
plug ins did away with a lot of useful plug-ins, including this one.
And it's not coming back, apparently.

The Overbite gopher browser extension also bit the dust. Yeah I know,
dead protocol, whatever, but the old API at least allowed an interested
developer to keep the functionality alive. He's working on a new
version, but still ...

I hate the newish interface.

I hate that Pocket is mostly hard-wired in.

All the user-helpful stuff is going away, and being replaced with stuff
more interesting to other corporations.

PaleMoon and Vivaldi have flaws of their own but I prefer them. I was
a diehard Opera user until version 12 when insanity prevailed. Chrome
is something I trust less and less for obvious Google reasons.

Makes me want to stick to plain text, or give up all together. Yet
again, adverts for stuff I was browsing at home showed up on my work
computer (different browser, different OS, different IP address). SO
ANNOYING. SO UNACCEPTABLE.

http://therandymon.com/index.php?/archives/338-This-isnt-fun-anymore.html
Sylvia Else
2018-05-04 02:57:03 UTC
Mozilla thinks you won’t mind this because all the analytics is done on
the client
Great - how much of my CPU time and disk storage will be consumed for
the purpose of advertising stuff to me?

Mind you, about:config already used, so presumably none, at least for
the time being.

Sylvia.
Andy Burns
2018-05-04 07:51:44 UTC
Mozilla thinks you won’t mind this because all the analytics is done on
the client
That's also the approach taken by the 'Brave' browser, which charges
advertisers in its own crypto-currency, and distributes these 'Basic
Attention Tokens' to content producers in proportion to what is viewed.

Kind of interesting, certainly Brendan is a big gun in the world of
browsers, but is it compelling enough? Meh ...