Slashdot asks: what's your favorite email client?
2018-05-15 02:04:34 UTC
From the «mutt or die» department:
Title: Slashdot Asks: Which Is Your Favorite Email Client?
Author: ***@slashdot.org
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 21:03:00 -0400
Link: http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~3/SN4HGZBIO0w/slashdot-asks-which-is-your-favorite-email-client

With Google recently rolling out a big revamp of Gmail to mixed reviews, we
would like to know which email client you prefer. Are you a firm believe in the
"inbox zero" idea -- that is, the approach to email management aimed at keeping
the inbox empty, or almost empty, at all times? If you're looking for
inspiration, Ars Technica recently published an article highlighting several
different email clients used by the editors of the site: Are you the sort of
person who needs to read and file every email they get? Or do you delight in
seeing an email client icon proudly warning of hundreds or even thousands of
unread items? For some, keeping one's email inbox with no unread items is more
than just a good idea: it's a way of life, indicating control over the 21st
century and its notion of productivity. For others, it's a manifestation of an
obsessively compulsive mind. The two camps, and the mindsets behind them, have
been a frequent topic of conversation here in the Ars Orbiting HQ. And rather
than just argue with each other on Slack, we decided to collate our thoughts
about the whole "inbox zero" idea and how, for those who adhere to it, that
happens. Some of the clients floated by the editors include: Webmail, Airmail
3, Readdle's Spark, Edison Mail, Sparrow, Inbox by Gmail, and MailSpring.

[image 2][2][image 4][4][image 6][6]

Read more of this story[7] at Slashdot.
[image 8]

Links:
[1]: http://twitter.com/home?status=Slashdot+Asks%3A+Which+Is+Your+Favorite+Email+Client%3F%3A+http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2F2IdUHvM (link)
[3]: http://www.facebook.com/sharer.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fask.slashdot.org%2Fstory%2F18%2F05%2F14%2F2246230%2Fslashdot-asks-which-is-your-favorite-email-client%3Futm_source%3Dslashdot%26utm_medium%3Dfacebook (link)
[5]: http://plus.google.com/share?url=https://ask.slashdot.org/story/18/05/14/2246230/slashdot-asks-which-is-your-favorite-email-client?utm_source=slashdot&utm_medium=googleplus (link)
[7]: https://ask.slashdot.org/story/18/05/14/2246230/slashdot-asks-which-is-your-favorite-email-client?utm_source=rss1.0moreanon&utm_medium=feed (link)
[8]: http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~4/SN4HGZBIO0w (image)
Rich
2018-05-15 02:48:49 UTC
With Google recently rolling out a big revamp of Gmail to mixed reviews, we
would like to know which email client you prefer.
mutt
Post by RS Wood
Are you a firm believe in the "inbox zero" idea
With 17,523 emails (currently) in my 'inbox', I guess I'm not a firm
believer of the "inbox zero" idea. I read them, then just leave them
there. Every now and again I'll move a collected group off into
another folder.
Marko Rauhamaa
2018-05-15 05:13:30 UTC
Post by Rich
Post by RS Wood
With Google recently rolling out a big revamp of Gmail to mixed
reviews, we would like to know which email client you prefer.
mutt
GNUS
Post by Rich
Post by RS Wood
Are you a firm believe in the "inbox zero" idea
With 17,523 emails (currently) in my 'inbox', I guess I'm not a firm
believer of the "inbox zero" idea. I read them, then just leave them
there. Every now and again I'll move a collected group off into
another folder.
GNUS deletes ("expires") messages after a week unless I mark them for
safekeeping.

Marko
Mike Spencer
2018-05-19 01:43:37 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Rich
Post by RS Wood
With Google recently rolling out a big revamp of Gmail to mixed
reviews, we would like to know which email client you prefer.
mutt
GNUS
Interesting that no one has mentioned Emacs' RMAIL. I've been using
that for 29 years. Encounters with mhmail, something or other on VMS
and webmail all easily forgettable. Web mail in a pinch if I'm away
from home because it offers some protection with crypto -- horrible
but putatively secure in an unknown wifi venue.
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Rich
Post by RS Wood
Are you a firm believe in the "inbox zero" idea
Yes, but sadly a backslider. Most messages get filed of discarded.
When, gradually, the accumulated total reaches 100, I hastily deal
with, file or purge at least 50 before I get bored. Result is a
couple or three dozen that I can't get around to figuring out what to
do with. I just checked; the oldest has been there since 2003. Mea
culpa. Some kind of cognitive lapse in the locus decisionus, the
lateral decisive nucleus or something.
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Rich
With 17,523 emails (currently) in my 'inbox', I guess I'm not a firm
believer of the "inbox zero" idea. I read them, then just leave them
there. Every now and again I'll move a collected group off into
another folder.
Well, I suppose egrep '(keyword|^Date:)' | vgrep is your friend.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Huge
2018-05-15 07:55:06 UTC
Post by RS Wood
Are you a firm believe in the "inbox zero" idea
With 17,523 emails (currently) in my 'inbox', I guess I'm not a firm
believer of the "inbox zero" idea.
You're a sick, sick man. As soon as there's more than a screenful of emails, I file them.

My wife's like you, except she never files anything. Looking at her email makes me itchy.
--
I don't have an attitude problem. If you have a problem with my
attitude, that's your problem.
Bob Eager
2018-05-15 09:04:55 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by RS Wood
Are you a firm believe in the "inbox zero" idea
With 17,523 emails (currently) in my 'inbox', I guess I'm not a firm
believer of the "inbox zero" idea.
You're a sick, sick man. As soon as there's more than a screenful of emails, I file them.
My wife's like you, except she never files anything. Looking at her email makes me itchy.
I use Claws Mail. It is rare that my inbox occupies the whole window; I
deal with them, and then delete or file them.
--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Nyssa
2018-05-15 13:32:49 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
Post by Huge
Post by RS Wood
Are you a firm believe in the "inbox zero" idea
With 17,523 emails (currently) in my 'inbox', I guess
I'm not a firm believer of the "inbox zero" idea.
You're a sick, sick man. As soon as there's more than a
screenful of emails, I file them.
My wife's like you, except she never files anything.
Looking at her email makes me itchy.
I use Claws Mail. It is rare that my inbox occupies the
whole window; I deal with them, and then delete or file
them.
I use Sylpheed, which is what Claws is based on.

I use the filtering option heavily, so incoming mail is
sorted into categories based on originator or key words.

Lots of read messages in various mail buckets, but none
unread unless I mark them as such until I get around to
replying or acting on them.

Nyssa, who would not use a web-based email client unless
threatened with bodily harm
Bob Eager
2018-05-15 14:13:16 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by Bob Eager
Post by Huge
Post by RS Wood
Are you a firm believe in the "inbox zero" idea
With 17,523 emails (currently) in my 'inbox', I guess I'm not a firm
believer of the "inbox zero" idea.
You're a sick, sick man. As soon as there's more than a screenful of
emails, I file them.
My wife's like you, except she never files anything. Looking at her
email makes me itchy.
I use Claws Mail. It is rare that my inbox occupies the whole window; I
deal with them, and then delete or file them.
I use Sylpheed, which is what Claws is based on.
I use the filtering option heavily, so incoming mail is sorted into
categories based on originator or key words.
I use the filtering too. Some of it is for forwarding to my mobile phone
(I have a separate account for that, and it keeps the volume down). Also
automated DMARC test results, which are filed and then processed using a
button linked to a shell script. I also use it for highlighting, as most
unread mail is kept in my inbox until processed, with tags and colour
coding rather than using folders. I also use it to archive all stuff on
certain mailing lists.

I also use multiple outgoing (sender) accounts, although my mail server
aliases most of those back to the same inbox.

And templates are good, too.

http://www.mirrorservice.org
RS Wood
2018-05-15 14:42:26 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
Post by Nyssa
I use Sylpheed, which is what Claws is based on.
I use the filtering option heavily, so incoming mail is sorted into
categories based on originator or key words.
I use the filtering too. Some of it is for forwarding to my mobile phone
(I have a separate account for that, and it keeps the volume down). Also
automated DMARC test results, which are filed and then processed using a
button linked to a shell script. I also use it for highlighting, as most
unread mail is kept in my inbox until processed, with tags and colour
coding rather than using folders. I also use it to archive all stuff on
certain mailing lists.
I also use multiple outgoing (sender) accounts, although my mail server
aliases most of those back to the same inbox.
And templates are good, too.
I love mutt. In fact mutt was one of the things that sold me on Linux
as a desktop OS, believe it or not (there were other things too, but
mutt was like magic for me). I also use Sylpheed and Claws
semi-regularly (and to be honest, can barely discern a difference
between them).

I have fewer than a dozen emails in my inbox, but lots of stuff gets
shunted over to "Archive" upon reading/acting, where it languishes
until filed, purged, or whatever. About twice a year I go through it
and weed out the crap, file the attachments, etc.

I'm generally amazed by how many people bitch about their inboxes but
(a) sign up for every stupid commercial newsletter available when
prompted, and (b) don't know how to create rules to file stuff into
other places. I'm on several newsletters and get regular mail from
some companies and NGOs I work with, but 100% of gets filed elsewhere,
and I read it once a week or fortnightly at best (on MY terms).

If you visit the Slashdot thread, you'll be surprised how many people
still use Eudora, the Bat, and Pegasus mail on Windows. I was
astonished! Several mentions of Pine as well.
Nomen Nescio
2018-05-16 04:28:24 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
Post by Nyssa
Post by Bob Eager
Post by Huge
Post by RS Wood
[...]
procmail routes my email to the appropriate newsgroup, where tin's
typically used to read it, if the spirit moves me. A crontab job
auto-archives usenet articles after a couple of weeks.
Andy Burns
2018-05-15 09:27:28 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by Rich
With 17,523 emails (currently) in my 'inbox', I guess I'm not a firm
believer of the "inbox zero" idea.
You're a sick, sick man. As soon as there's more than a screenful of emails, I file them.
19,363 emails from the past 9 years in my home laptop's inbox, I just
filter to "unread only" most of the time. My work laptop sees a higher
throughput of messages, I generally archive the inbox and sent items to
a folder per year.
Dario Niedermann
2018-05-15 09:09:05 UTC
That's a department where I belong. Mutt's pattern-based tagging is
perfect for quickly moving lots of mail and keeping a tidy inbox.

At least for the mail that hasn't already been filed away by procmail
upon receipt.
--
Dario Niedermann. Also on the Internet at:

gopher://darioniedermann.it/ <> https://www.darioniedermann.it/
Andy Burns
2018-05-15 09:10:38 UTC
I didn't see the "Cowboy Neal reads my email for me" option ...
Dirk T. Verbeek
2018-05-15 10:55:23 UTC
I'm just waiting for an idiot to answer "Facebook".
Rich
2018-05-15 11:36:00 UTC
Post by Dirk T. Verbeek
Post by RS Wood
With Google recently rolling out a big revamp of Gmail to mixed reviews, we
would like to know which email client you prefer
I'm just waiting for an idiot to answer "Facebook".
The good thing about Usenet is that the barrier to entry is high enough
that those that would answer "Facebook" to this question likely do not
know Usenet exists, nor how to get access to it.
Paul Sture
2018-05-15 10:58:26 UTC
happens. Some of the clients floated by the editors include: Webmail, Airmail
3, Readdle's Spark, Edison Mail, Sparrow, Inbox by Gmail, and MailSpring.
Sparrow was apparently excellent, but got swallowed by Google.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sparrow_%28email_client%29>

"Sparrow was an email client for OS X and iOS. After a 4-month beta
period, Sparrow went on sale in the Mac App Store on February 9,
2011 and became the top paid and top grossing app in less than one
day.[1] On July 20, 2012, the company announced that it had been
acquired by Google and was ceasing continued development of the
application except for critical bug fixes."

And I've come across allegations that Spark leaks way too much personal
info to the mother ship.
--
In a time of drastic change it is the learners who inherit the future.
The learned usually find themselves equipped to live in a world that no
longer exists. –– Eric Hoffer
Anssi Saari
2018-05-15 19:50:27 UTC
With Google recently rolling out a big revamp of Gmail to mixed reviews, we
would like to know which email client you prefer. Are you a firm believe in the
"inbox zero" idea
I think I did the "inbox zero" thing back in early 90s with my first
email account in the university. I didn't get much mail back then. This
was a student account at a time when faculty wasn't using email to
communicate with students so it was just messages with other students
for the most part.

Today I archive emails about stuff I'm likely going to need in the
future, which means tickets and info for trips and entertainment so that
I can find them when it's time to go. Everything else stays in the inbox
so it's a graveyard of mostly announcements and newsletters and ads. I
tend to move last year's mails to a separate folder around mid year or
so.

As for the email client, I don't know if I have a favorite. I use
Thunderbird and Outlook on Windows, Thunderbird and Kmail and mutt on
Linux, TypeApp and Outlook on Android. Mutt is the only client where I
can update my personal bogofilter database with missed spam.
Bob Eager
2018-05-15 20:53:11 UTC
Post by Anssi Saari
As for the email client, I don't know if I have a favorite. I use
Thunderbird and Outlook on Windows, Thunderbird and Kmail and mutt on
Linux, TypeApp and Outlook on Android. Mutt is the only client where I
can update my personal bogofilter database with missed spam.
On Claws Mail, I have a shell script that updates bogofilter (although it
does it by sending it to the central email server). That's linked to a
button that I can push.

http://www.mirrorservice.org
Anssi Saari
2018-05-18 07:11:15 UTC
Post by Bob Eager
Post by Anssi Saari
As for the email client, I don't know if I have a favorite. I use
Thunderbird and Outlook on Windows, Thunderbird and Kmail and mutt on
Linux, TypeApp and Outlook on Android. Mutt is the only client where I
can update my personal bogofilter database with missed spam.
On Claws Mail, I have a shell script that updates bogofilter (although it
does it by sending it to the central email server). That's linked to a
button that I can push.
Interesting. I guess that sort of thing would be doable for Thunderbird
or KMail but I don't have the faintest idea how to do that. Well, KMail
apparently has "pipe through" and "execute command" actions in the
filter setup so that might be it. Worth a try if I get around to it.
Ant
2018-05-15 20:38:46 UTC
For me: mostly Mutt, SeaMonkey, and webmails. When I was working,
Outlook.
Date: Mon, 14 May 2018 21:03:00 -0400
[2]: https://a.fsdn.com/sd/twitter_icon_large.png (image)
[4]: https://a.fsdn.com/sd/facebook_icon_large.png (image)
[6]: https://www.gstatic.com/images/icons/gplus-16.png (image)
[7]: https://ask.slashdot.org/story/18/05/14/2246230/slashdot-asks-which-is-your-favorite-email-client?utm_source=rss1.0moreanon&utm_medium=feed (link)
[8]: http://feeds.feedburner.com/~r/Slashdot/slashdot/~4/SN4HGZBIO0w (image)
--
Quote of the Week: "The fact that we can't easily foresee clues that
would betray an intelligence a million millennia farther down the road
| |o o| | ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ /
( )
Oregonian Haruspex
2018-06-04 08:33:34 UTC
While I use Squirrelmail webmail software, the iOS Mail ‘app’ and
Thunderbird most often, my favorite client is good old Unix mail. I’m also
pretty keen on keeping my inbox under control, except in my gmail which I
use only as a junk mail account.

Email will be with us forever, thank heavens. It seems even the tappy tappy
phone and tablet kids still use it.
Dan Purgert
2018-06-04 12:50:15 UTC
Post by Oregonian Haruspex
While I use Squirrelmail webmail software, the iOS Mail ‘app’ and
Thunderbird most often, my favorite client is good old Unix mail [...]
What, no love for mutt? 'mail(x)' is nice too; but I always forget how
to make it do things.
--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947
RS Wood
2018-06-04 23:14:51 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by Oregonian Haruspex
While I use Squirrelmail webmail software, the iOS Mail ‘app’ and
Thunderbird most often, my favorite client is good old Unix mail [...]
What, no love for mutt? 'mail(x)' is nice too; but I always forget how
to make it do things.
You're late to the thread (but welcome). We started with mutt when I posted
the link. "Mutt or Die!!!!"

The day they take mutt from me is the day I stop emailing.
Ant
2018-06-05 06:46:47 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
While I use Squirrelmail webmail software, the iOS Mail ???app??? and
Thunderbird most often, my favorite client is good old Unix mail [...]
What, no love for mutt? 'mail(x)' is nice too; but I always forget how
to make it do things.
You're late to the thread (but welcome). We started with mutt when I posted
the link. "Mutt or Die!!!!"
The day they take mutt from me is the day I stop emailing.
I was forced to learn and use Mutt on an old Linux shell account. I used
to use Pine! I can see why Mutt is powerful though even though it took
me a very long time to get used to it.
--
Quote of the Week: "... Here's intelligent things, and it seems they
want us for food. First, they'll smash us up -- ships, machines, guns,
( )
Nomen Nescio
alpine still works for me. if it ain't broke don't fix it thank you very much.
Rich
2018-06-05 11:05:09 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
While I use Squirrelmail webmail software, the iOS Mail ?app? and
Thunderbird most often, my favorite client is good old Unix mail [...]
What, no love for mutt? 'mail(x)' is nice too; but I always forget how
to make it do things.
You're late to the thread (but welcome). We started with mutt when I posted
the link. "Mutt or Die!!!!"
The day they take mutt from me is the day I stop emailing.
The wonderful advantage (so often lost on todays designers who are
looking for any possible Apple-esque lock-in ecosystem) of having the
transport protocol fully decoupled from the UI. "They" can't take mutt
away from you, unless "they" also take away SMTP from everyone.
Dan Purgert
2018-06-05 12:39:24 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by Oregonian Haruspex
While I use Squirrelmail webmail software, the iOS Mail ‘app’ and
Thunderbird most often, my favorite client is good old Unix mail [...]
What, no love for mutt? 'mail(x)' is nice too; but I always forget how
to make it do things.
You're late to the thread (but welcome). We started with mutt when I
posted the link. "Mutt or Die!!!!"
Weird, this was the first message I recall seeing for the thread. Guess
that something went screwey here.
RS Wood
2018-06-05 22:37:50 UTC
Post by Dan Purgert
Post by RS Wood
You're late to the thread (but welcome). We started with mutt when I
posted the link. "Mutt or Die!!!!"
Weird, this was the first message I recall seeing for the thread. Guess
that something went screwey here.
You've probably got me kill-filed :)

Or maybe eternal september had a hiccup?
Dan Purgert
Sparc IPX
2018-06-09 18:33:08 UTC
[snip]

I've used pine for ages, mostly out of habit.
--
sparcipx
Michael Black
2018-06-11 16:47:32 UTC
Post by Sparc IPX
[snip]
I've used pine for ages, mostly out of habit.
Yes. When I first had full internet access, it was 1996 and at the
Montreal Freenet, so the software ran on their server, and pine was what
they selected. The freenet only lasted four months (after three years of
waiting) but I'd already invested enough in it that I stuck with it, even
22 years later. When I finally had a computer that would run Linux, I
started off with Debian, because it was the "least commercial"
distribution at the time, but it didn't include pine, its license not
matching Debian's concept of "free". I needed pine at that point, late
2000, but didn't feel up to installing from elsewhere (obviously
something I would have done later if I'd stuck with Debian). So
when I saw a copy of "Slackware Linux for Dummies" at the local
bookstore with a torn cover, and a discount price, I checked to see that
it included pine, and went with that, still sticking to Slackware 17 years
later.

Since I'd gotten used to it, because it was available, I've never seen a
reason since then to try others. I have always been happy with pine, of
course now it's alpine.

Michael