cognitive computing, AI winter, and search
2018-05-01 10:55:08 UTC
http://www.rogerschank.com/fraudulent-claims-made-by-IBM-about-Watson-and-AI

//--clip

I was chatting with an old friend yesterday and he reminded me of a
conversation we had nearly 50 years ago. I tried to explain to him what
I did for living and he was trying to understand why getting computers
to understand was more complicated than key word analysis. I explained
about concepts underlying sentences and explained that sentences used
words but that people really didn’t use words in their minds except to
get to the underlying ideas and that computers were having a hard time
with that.

Fifty years later, key words are still dominating the thoughts of
people who try to get computers to deal with language. But, this time,
the key word people have deceived the general public by making claims
that this is thinking, that AI is here, and that, by the way we should
be very afraid, or very excited, I forget which.

We were making some good progress on getting computers to understand
language but, in 1984, AI winter started. AI winter was a result of too
many promises about things AI could do that it really could not do.
(This was about promoting expert systems. Where are they now?). Funding
dried up and real work on natural language processing died too.

But still people promote key words because Google and others use it to
do "search". Search is all well and good when we are counting words,
which is what data analytics and machine learning are really all about.
Of course, once you count words you can do all kinds of correlations
and users can learn about what words often connect to each other and
make use of that information. But, users have learned to accommodate to
Google not the other way around. We know what kinds of things we can
type into Google and what we can’t and we keep our searches to things
that Google is likely to help with. We know we are looking for texts
and not answers to start a conversation with an entity that knows what
we really need to talk about. People learn from conversation and Google
can’t have one. It can pretend to have one using Siri but really those
conversations tend to get tiresome when you are past asking about where
to eat.

But, I am not worried about Google. It works well enough for our needs.

What I am concerned about are the exaggerated claims being made by IBM
about their Watson program. Recently they ran an ad featuring Bob Dylan
which made laugh, or would have, if had made not me so angry. I will
say it clearly: Watson is a fraud. I am not saying that it can’t crunch
words, and there may well be value in that to some people. But the ads
are fraudulent.

//--clip
RS Wood <***@therandymon.com>
Huge
2018-05-01 11:27:12 UTC
http://www.rogerschank.com/fraudulent-claims-made-by-IBM-about-Watson-and-AI
//--clip
I was chatting with an old friend yesterday and he reminded me of a
conversation we had nearly 50 years ago. I tried to explain to him what
I did for living and he was trying to understand why getting computers
to understand was more complicated than key word analysis. I explained
about concepts underlying sentences and explained that sentences used
words but that people really didn’t use words in their minds except to
get to the underlying ideas and that computers were having a hard time
with that.
Whatever happened to the Cyc project?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyc
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 48th day of Discord in the YOLD 3184
Mike Spencer
2018-05-01 20:53:59 UTC
Post by Huge
Whatever happened to the Cyc project?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyc
Doug Lenat is still there:

http://www.cyc.com/about/company-profile/team/

At the end of 1994, the Cyc project spun out of MCC, becoming
Cycorp, Inc., and he has served as its CEO since that time.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Dario Niedermann
2018-05-02 17:22:21 UTC
(This was about promoting expert systems. Where are they now?)
Well, who hasn't used WebMD's symptom checker?

I'm not sure if expert systems are still considered a form of AI,
though.

P.S.: the link isn't working for me. Maybe the server has been Usenetted.
--
Dario Niedermann. Also on the Internet at:

gopher://darioniedermann.it/ <> https://www.darioniedermann.it/