the time is 15*10^8 in Unixland
2017-07-14 11:39:59 UTC
From the «well, not anymore, actually» department:
Title: The Time Is... 1500000000
Author: n1
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2017 23:40:00 -0400
Link: https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=17/07/14/0129200&from=rss

martyb[1] writes:

Not one to let trivia pass unnoticed, the timing of this post has a mildly
interesting significance.

Some of you may be old enough to recall the Y2K bug (or may have even helped in
avoiding the predicted calamity). Thanks to an incredible effort, the world
survived relatively unscathed.

So we're in the clear, now. Right?

Not quite. In the land of Unix timekeeping, there is another rollover bug
coming up, when the number of seconds since the Unix Epoch (Jan 1, 1970)
exceeds the space provided by a signed 32 bit number: 2147483647 (January 18,
2038 at 22:14:07).

The timing of this post marks our reaching 75% of that a milestone towards that
rollover amount: 1,500,000,000 seconds since the Unix epoch which is 2017-07-14
02:40:00 UTC. (Queue Cue horns and fanfares.)

Besides taking note of a mildly interesting timestamp, I'd like to offer for
discussion: Falsehoods programmers believe about time[2].

What memorable time (or date) bugs have you encountered?

I once worked at a company where the DBA (DataBase Analyst) insisted that all
timestamps in the database be in Eastern Time. Yes, it would fluctuate when we
entered/exited Daylight Saving Time. Even better, this was central database
correlating inputs from PBXs (Private Branch Exchanges[3]) across all four time
zones in the US. No amount of discussion on my part could convince him
otherwise. I finally documented the situation like crazy and left it to reality
to provide the final persuasion. Unfortunately, a defect in the design of their
hardware manifested at a very inopportune time, and the company ended up
folding.

Original Submission[4]

Read more of this story[5] at SoylentNews.

Links:
[1]: http://soylentnews.org/~martyb/ (link)
[2]: http://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time (link)
[3]: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_branch_exchange (link)
[4]: http://soylentnews.org/submit.pl?op=viewsub&subid=21230 (link)
[5]: https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=17/07/14/0129200&from=rss (link)
Ivan Shmakov
2017-07-15 02:32:30 UTC
[...]
Post by RS Wood
Not quite. In the land of Unix timekeeping, there is another rollover
bug coming up, when the number of seconds since the Unix Epoch (Jan
2147483647 (January 18, 2038 at 22:14:07).
The timing of this post marks our reaching 75% of that a milestone
towards that rollover amount: 1,500,000,000 seconds since the Unix
epoch which is 2017-07-14 02:40:00 UTC. (Queue Cue horns and
fanfares.)
Strictly speaking, 75% of 0x7fffffff is 0x5fffffff, and we still
have about 3.5 years to reach that point.

$ (set -x -- $((-1 + 3 * 0x80000000 / 4)) ; \
printf %x\\n "$1" ; \
printf %s\\n \
"scale = 4 ; (${1} - 1500000000) / 86400 / 365.25" | bc -q ; \
date --date=@"$1") ;
+ printf '%x\n' 1610612735
5fffffff
+ printf '%s\n' 'scale = 4 ; (1610612735 - 1500000000) / 86400 / 365.25'
+ bc -q
3.5051
+ date --date=@1610612735
Thu Jan 14 08:25:35 UTC 2021
$

[...]

PS. I'm surely not the only person on Earth who counts time in
hexadecimal and assumes that 1 year is 2 ^25 seconds, am I?
FSF associate member #7257 58F8 0F47 53F5 2EB2 F6A5 8916 3013 B6A0 230E 334A
Eric Pozharski
2017-07-15 12:34:55 UTC
Not quite. In the land of Unix timekeeping, there is another rollover
bug coming up, when the number of seconds since the Unix Epoch (Jan
2147483647 (January 18, 2038 at 22:14:07).
The timing of this post marks our reaching 75% of that a milestone
towards that rollover amount: 1,500,000,000 seconds since the Unix
epoch which is 2017-07-14 02:40:00 UTC. (Queue Cue horns and
fanfares.)
Strictly speaking, 75% of 0x7fffffff is 0x5fffffff, and we still have
about 3.5 years to reach that point.
Well, that's how kids-want-to-be-veterans-these-days manifests itself.
OTOH, when we'll be gone, and those kids would become TRUE oldfags...
I'll better be dead by then.

*CUT*
Ivan Shmakov
2017-07-15 18:00:40 UTC
Post by Eric Pozharski
Post by Ivan Shmakov
Post by RS Wood
Not quite. In the land of Unix timekeeping, there is another
rollover bug coming up, when the number of seconds since the Unix
Epoch (Jan 1, 1970) exceeds the space provided by a signed 32 bit
number: 2147483647 (January 18, 2038 at 22:14:07). The timing of
this post marks our reaching 75% of that a milestone towards that
rollover amount: 1,500,000,000 seconds since the Unix epoch which
is 2017-07-14 02:40:00 UTC. (Queue Cue horns and fanfares.)
Strictly speaking, 75% of 0x7fffffff is 0x5fffffff, and we still
have about 3.5 years to reach that point.
Well, that's how kids-want-to-be-veterans-these-days manifests
itself. OTOH, when we'll be gone, and those kids would become TRUE
oldfags... I'll better be dead by then.
How interesting. My oldest contribution to a free software
project dates back to 2001 (as recorded in a publicly accessible
changelog.) Curiously, how much longer can I enjoy the
carelessness of being a "young one"?
FSF associate member #7257 58F8 0F47 53F5 2EB2 F6A5 8916 3013 B6A0 230E 334A
Ivan Shmakov
2017-07-16 19:17:23 UTC
[...]
Post by Eric Pozharski
Post by Ivan Shmakov
Strictly speaking, 75% of 0x7fffffff is 0x5fffffff, and we still
have about 3.5 years to reach that point.
Well, that's how kids-want-to-be-veterans-these-days manifests
itself. OTOH, when we'll be gone, and those kids would become TRUE
oldfags... I'll better be dead by then.
How interesting. My oldest contribution to a free software project
dates back to 2001 (as recorded in a publicly accessible changelog.)
Curiously, how much longer can I enjoy the carelessness of being a
"young one"?
Huh? Anyone? I'm really curious how much time I still have
before I find myself buried neck-deep in the boring grown-up
stuff? (Like income tax, elections, and having to spend Sunday
mornings fixing security bugs in the ru^H^H software I publish.)
FSF associate member #7257 58F8 0F47 53F5 2EB2 F6A5 8916 3013 B6A0 230E 334A
RS Wood
Adulthood is overrated.
Eric Pozharski
2017-07-17 07:11:49 UTC
Post by Eric Pozharski
Post by Ivan Shmakov
Strictly speaking, 75% of 0x7fffffff is 0x5fffffff, and we still
have about 3.5 years to reach that point.
Well, that's how kids-want-to-be-veterans-these-days manifests
itself. OTOH, when we'll be gone, and those kids would become TRUE
oldfags... I'll better be dead by then.
How interesting. My oldest contribution to a free software project
dates back to 2001 (as recorded in a publicly accessible changelog.)
Curiously, how much longer can I enjoy the carelessness of being a
"young one"?
Huh? Anyone? I'm really curious how much time I still have before I
find myself buried neck-deep in the boring grown-up stuff? (Like
income tax, elections, and having to spend Sunday mornings fixing
security bugs in the ru^H^H software I publish.)
Well,.. If I would have proper education I would go with statistically
based specu^W projections. But I don't so here is my diagnosis: you
will find out it overnight. *You* just don't know which one.

p.s. And, also: Happy elections everyone!