GopherOS: experimental OS written in Go
2017-06-13 02:44:02 UTC
From the «Go needs a newsgroup» department:
Title: GopherOS: an experimental operating system written in Go
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 16:18:15 -0400
Link: http://osnews.com/story/29864/GopherOS_an_experimental_operating_system_written_in_Go

It's one of many, for sure, but as far as I'm concerned, we can never have
enough of them: experimental hobby operating systems. GopherOS - no, not what
you think - is an experimental operating system written in Go, licensed under
the MIT license. It's all very small and early, but possibly interesting to
some of you.

Posting to comp.misc, sci.misc, and misc.news.internet.discuss
Vassilis Spiliopoulos
2017-06-13 09:40:25 UTC
Title: GopherOS: an experimental operating system written in Go
Author: Thom Holwerda
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 16:18:15 -0400
Link: http://osnews.com/story/29864/GopherOS_an_experimental_operating_system_written_in_Go
It's one of many, for sure, but as far as I'm concerned, we can never have
enough of them: experimental hobby operating systems. GopherOS - no, not what
you think - is an experimental operating system written in Go, licensed under
the MIT license. It's all very small and early, but possibly interesting to
some of you.
--
Posting to comp.misc, sci.misc, and misc.news.internet.discuss
---
http://www.avg.com
Why would someone write an OS in the Go language?
Dirk T. Verbeek
2017-06-13 12:07:01 UTC
Why would you check your outging mails for viruses?
Vassilis Spiliopoulos
2017-06-13 12:12:25 UTC
Because there would be viruses in my emails. :P
RS Wood
2017-06-14 13:17:22 UTC
Post by Vassilis Spiliopoulos
Why would someone write an OS in the Go language?
For the same reason they write them in Javascript. Surely not
because theyre useful, but because it's interesting and probably
one hell of a learning experience. And to see if it can be done,
and if so, how it compares to other systems both known and
potential.

The best and most interesting scientific and technological
advances arise frequently by accident, by brute curiosity, and by
luck.
Vassilis Spiliopoulos
2017-06-14 17:57:25 UTC
Post by Vassilis Spiliopoulos
Why would someone write an OS in the Go language?
For the same reason they write them in Javascript. Surely not
because theyre useful, but because it's interesting and probably
one hell of a learning experience. And to see if it can be done,
and if so, how it compares to other systems both known and
potential.
The best and most interesting scientific and technological
advances arise frequently by accident, by brute curiosity, and by
luck.
---
http://www.avg.com
Javascript OS was most certainly, an ABSOLUTE DISASTER.

Rich
2017-06-14 13:46:58 UTC
Title: GopherOS: an experimental operating system written in Go
I understand why they picked "Gopher" for an OS written in "go", but
they also get an award for "bad choices in names" because "Gopher" is
already taken:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(protocol)

It is possible, given how extensively the web has pushed aside all the
old protocols, that none of the authors of GopherOS are old enough to
even have ever heard of Gopher the protocol.
Huge
2017-06-14 14:10:17 UTC
Post by Rich
Post by RS Wood
Title: GopherOS: an experimental operating system written in Go
I understand why they picked "Gopher" for an OS written in "go", but
they also get an award for "bad choices in names" because "Gopher" is
From the Squid documentation;

Q. Why is it called "Squid"?

A. Because all the good names are taken.
--
Today is Setting Orange, the 19th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
If you have a problem with my attitude, that's your problem.
Richard Kettlewell
2017-06-14 15:50:02 UTC
Post by Rich
Post by RS Wood
Title: GopherOS: an experimental operating system written in Go
I understand why they picked "Gopher" for an OS written in "go", but
they also get an award for "bad choices in names" because "Gopher" is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(protocol)
It is possible, given how extensively the web has pushed aside all the
old protocols, that none of the authors of GopherOS are old enough to
even have ever heard of Gopher the protocol.
Lucky them!

(I see nothing wrong with re-using the name Gopher, the old protocol is
obsolete.)
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Michael Black
2017-06-14 16:42:50 UTC
Post by Rich
Post by RS Wood
Title: GopherOS: an experimental operating system written in Go
I understand why they picked "Gopher" for an OS written in "go", but
they also get an award for "bad choices in names" because "Gopher" is
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gopher_(protocol)
It is possible, given how extensively the web has pushed aside all the
old protocols, that none of the authors of GopherOS are old enough to
even have ever heard of Gopher the protocol.
I thought for sure the subject header was leading that way, so the
contents would be telling us of a Gopher revival.

Michael