old DOS era raster fonts, in all their glory
2017-07-04 23:10:13 UTC
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/

IBM ISO-9 and VGA SquarePx look particularly good. Someone clearly
went to a lot of trouble to build these things again. That is, to
bring them back from the dead. I love the box in the top right of the
website that lets you re-render the page using one of the fonts (6 for
SquarePx). Sadly, nothing from DEC and friends, though there's a Wyse
font. And it's all downloadable.

Tempted to redo my website - but I'm feeling particularly nostalgic for
simpler times.
Ant
2017-07-04 23:27:59 UTC
Ahh, the good old DOS days! :D
--
:) Bday, USA!
| |o o| |
( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
Oregonian Haruspex
This is really great, I am going to give them a whirl in my terminal.
Ian McCall
2017-07-05 15:33:00 UTC
On 2017-07-05 06:03:18 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
Post by Oregonian Haruspex
Post by RS Wood
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/
IBM ISO-9 and VGA SquarePx look particularly good. Someone clearly
went to a lot of trouble to build these things again. That is, to
bring them back from the dead. I love the box in the top right of the
website that lets you re-render the page using one of the fonts (6 for
SquarePx). Sadly, nothing from DEC and friends, though there's a Wyse
font. And it's all downloadable.
Tempted to redo my website - but I'm feeling particularly nostalgic for
simpler times.
This is really great, I am going to give them a whirl in my terminal.
If anyone's on the Mac, have a look at Cathode:
<http://www.secretgeometry.com/apps/cathode/>

Meanwhile, those fonts will do perfectly for those retro Turbo Pascal
coding sessions that I, err...well. never actually do. Grabbed 'em
anyway though - all good fun.

Cheers,
Ian
Ant
2017-07-05 21:49:33 UTC
On 2017-07-05 06:03:18 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
Post by Oregonian Haruspex
Post by RS Wood
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/
IBM ISO-9 and VGA SquarePx look particularly good. Someone clearly
went to a lot of trouble to build these things again. That is, to
bring them back from the dead. I love the box in the top right of the
website that lets you re-render the page using one of the fonts (6 for
SquarePx). Sadly, nothing from DEC and friends, though there's a Wyse
font. And it's all downloadable.
Tempted to redo my website - but I'm feeling particularly nostalgic for
simpler times.
This is really great, I am going to give them a whirl in my terminal.
<http://www.secretgeometry.com/apps/cathode/>
Meanwhile, those fonts will do perfectly for those retro Turbo Pascal
coding sessions that I, err...well. never actually do. Grabbed 'em
anyway though - all good fun.
I used Turbo Pascal for introduction to computer science in 1994! :D
--
Quote of the Week: Captain Marvel: Shazam. Billy Batson: Now put her
down. Black Adam: See? Like an ant. --Superman/Shazam!: The Return of
Ian McCall
2017-07-05 22:53:19 UTC
Post by Ant
..Meanwhile, those fonts will do perfectly for those retro Turbo Pascal
coding sessions that I, err...well. never actually do. Grabbed 'em
anyway though - all good fun.
I used Turbo Pascal for introduction to computer science in 1994! :D
Wow. Glad it lasted that long - was a -great- environment to code in. I
used it for A-Level (UK exams at 17-18) in 1989, was great. We were the
despair of our computer department - they'd spent lots on nice colour
machines, and we ignored them and went for the mono amber monitors
instead - much nicer for text work like coding.

Also used to run it on my Atari ST via a hardware emulator - VortexAT.
Really liked that environment, and I carried on using their C one
professionally for a while as well.

Cheers,
Ian
Oregonian Haruspex
2017-07-06 19:46:01 UTC
On 2017-07-05 06:03:18 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
Post by Oregonian Haruspex
Post by RS Wood
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/
IBM ISO-9 and VGA SquarePx look particularly good. Someone clearly
went to a lot of trouble to build these things again. That is, to
bring them back from the dead. I love the box in the top right of the
website that lets you re-render the page using one of the fonts (6 for
SquarePx). Sadly, nothing from DEC and friends, though there's a Wyse
font. And it's all downloadable.
Tempted to redo my website - but I'm feeling particularly nostalgic for
simpler times.
This is really great, I am going to give them a whirl in my terminal.
I use a Mac but I also keep my Raspberry Pi hooked up to an early 80's
Magnavox amber monitor. It seems to be more comfy on the eyes than any
other VDU I have ever tried.
Johnny B Good
2017-07-07 17:04:11 UTC
On 2017-07-05 06:03:18 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
Post by Oregonian Haruspex
Post by RS Wood
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/
IBM ISO-9 and VGA SquarePx look particularly good. Someone clearly
went to a lot of trouble to build these things again. That is, to
bring them back from the dead. I love the box in the top right of
the website that lets you re-render the page using one of the fonts
(6 for SquarePx). Sadly, nothing from DEC and friends, though
there's a Wyse font. And it's all downloadable.
Tempted to redo my website - but I'm feeling particularly nostalgic
for simpler times.
This is really great, I am going to give them a whirl in my terminal.
I use a Mac but I also keep my Raspberry Pi hooked up to an early 80's
Magnavox amber monitor. It seems to be more comfy on the eyes than any
other VDU I have ever tried.
VDU is an oxymoronic acronym. You ought to have used "DU" instead (the
"V" is superfluous in this case). :-)
Johnny B Good
Ian McCall
2017-07-07 19:10:15 UTC
On 2017-07-06 19:46:01 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
On 2017-07-05 06:03:18 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
I use a Mac but I also keep my Raspberry Pi hooked up to an early 80's
Magnavox amber monitor. It seems to be more comfy on the eyes than any
other VDU I have ever tried.
VDU. Now that's an acronym I haven't heard for a long time.

And yes to the amber monitor - see my other post. Late 80s amber
monitor for me - seem to remember, though could be wrong, that the
school had Apricots and that I was using a 16Mhz (might even have been
a 4.7 or 8Mhz) 286 AT.

It's no coincidence that the screen I mostly run using Cathode is a
custom theme set up as an amber monitor.

Cheers,
Ian
The Real Bev
2017-07-08 02:08:04 UTC
On 2017-07-06 19:46:01 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
On 2017-07-05 06:03:18 +0000, Oregonian Haruspex
I use a Mac but I also keep my Raspberry Pi hooked up to an early 80's
Magnavox amber monitor. It seems to be more comfy on the eyes than any
other VDU I have ever tried.
VDU. Now that's an acronym I haven't heard for a long time.
And yes to the amber monitor - see my other post. Late 80s amber
monitor for me - seem to remember, though could be wrong, that the
school had Apricots and that I was using a 16Mhz (might even have been
a 4.7 or 8Mhz) 286 AT.
It's no coincidence that the screen I mostly run using Cathode is a
custom theme set up as an amber monitor.
xterm -fg green
xterm -fg orange

I like green better!
--
Cheers, Bev
"I'm sorry I ever invented the Electoral College."
Al Gore 11/08/00
Scott Alfter
2017-07-05 18:04:03 UTC
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/
IBM ISO-9 and VGA SquarePx look particularly good. Someone clearly
went to a lot of trouble to build these things again. That is, to
bring them back from the dead. I love the box in the top right of the
website that lets you re-render the page using one of the fonts (6 for
SquarePx). Sadly, nothing from DEC and friends, though there's a Wyse
font. And it's all downloadable.
Tempted to redo my website - but I'm feeling particularly nostalgic for
simpler times.
In a similar vein, here are two fonts that mimic the Apple II text display:

http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/apple2.shtml

MouseText and inverse text included in the Unicode private use area. One is
a wider "40-column" font; the other is a narrow "80-column" font.

There's also a TrueType version of Shaston, the system font used by the
IIGS.

_/_
(IIGS( https://alfter.us/ Top-posting!
\_^_/ >What's the most annoying thing on Usenet?
Computer Nerd Kev
2017-07-08 01:38:06 UTC
Post by Scott Alfter
Post by RS Wood
http://int10h.org/oldschool-pc-fonts/fontlist/
IBM ISO-9 and VGA SquarePx look particularly good. Someone clearly
went to a lot of trouble to build these things again. That is, to
bring them back from the dead. I love the box in the top right of the
website that lets you re-render the page using one of the fonts (6 for
SquarePx). Sadly, nothing from DEC and friends, though there's a Wyse
font. And it's all downloadable.
Tempted to redo my website - but I'm feeling particularly nostalgic for
simpler times.
http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/apple2.shtml
MouseText and inverse text included in the Unicode private use area. One is
a wider "40-column" font; the other is a narrow "80-column" font.
There's also a TrueType version of Shaston, the system font used by the
IIGS.
They've got Commodore, TRS-80, ZX Spectrum, and more on that site as well:
http://www.kreativekorp.com/software/fonts/index.shtml#retro
--
__ __
#_ < |\| |< _#
RS Wood
2017-07-16 17:36:46 UTC
Post by Computer Nerd Kev
Post by Scott Alfter
Post by RS Wood
[...]
Just a note that I downloaded and installed the fonts, and I'm really
impressed. As they're modern, TTF fonts, they work as easily as any other
GUI font (they don't work on the console I think). Looks great on my
gnome-terminal - very readable, clear, easy on the eyes. Even have several
non-ASCII characters (Latin-1 at least). This was a lot of work on
somebody's part, but it was so worth it.