Bitcoins Hashrate Rises to 52 Quintillion, Is this Sustainable?
Internetado
2018-08-06 18:59:51 UTC
Mathematicians may soon run out of words to describe the number of
hashes processed by the bitcoin network every single second.

A trillion has been passed long ago. A quadrillion too. Now we have 52
quintillion. That being a million trillion. Afterwords, we just start
counting in Latin, adding lion at the end until Centillion, 10 to the
power of 303. After which point, words no longer describe numbers, at
least for now.[...]

https://www.trustnodes.com/2018/08/06/bitcoins-hashrate-rises-52-quintillion-sustainable
--
Eduardo
----------

www.alt119.net - Art Culture Lusophony
Robert Girault
2018-08-07 21:15:03 UTC
Post by Internetado
Mathematicians may soon run out of words to describe the number of
hashes processed by the bitcoin network every single second.
Isn't there an infinite number of names? We'll have just to learn about
them. It's also clear that hash rates can't go up forever.

Some comments.
Post by Internetado
Proof of wasted work, one cryptonian called it. That’s because all
these hashes are solving useless math problems that have no end
result, ancillary or otherwise, with the purpose being simply to show
that work was done, like children completing school equations.
It does however secure the movement of around $8 billion worth of
bitcoin per day.
Well noted. This sentence should be in the paragraph above.
Post by Internetado
At a trillion hashes, billions of dollars moving in bitcoin would have
been difficult because it might have taken little to double spend such
transactions.
I don't get this passage.
Post by Internetado
That’s due to a theory by Nakamoto himself that suggests the amount of
bitcoins that can move depends on the amount it would take to 51% attack
the network both within and outside of the current hashrate.
Where in the paper does Nakamoto say that?