Skype SMS
Sylvia Else
2017-06-11 06:38:58 UTC
The Skype "community" forums seem to be the blind leading the blind, and
the alleged "Contact Skype Support" does nothing of the kind.

Anyone here managed to send an SMS over Skype for Android, using version 8?

The information online talks about selecting a recipient, and then
pressing the "+" icon, but once a recipient is selected, the screen
changes and there's no longer a "+" icon to select.

I have this working on version 4, on an older phone, but that version
won't run on a more recent model (I tried).

Sylvia (who's very suspicious of alleged progress which breaks things).
Vassilis Spiliopoulos
2017-06-11 20:07:07 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
The Skype "community" forums seem to be the blind leading the blind, and
the alleged "Contact Skype Support" does nothing of the kind.
Anyone here managed to send an SMS over Skype for Android, using version 8?
The information online talks about selecting a recipient, and then
pressing the "+" icon, but once a recipient is selected, the screen
changes and there's no longer a "+" icon to select.
I have this working on version 4, on an older phone, but that version
won't run on a more recent model (I tried).
Sylvia (who's very suspicious of alleged progress which breaks things).
---
http://www.avg.com
Maybe you should not use SMS on skype?
There are countless of services offering free sms.
And why does mobile email exist and all these instant messaging clients
for?
Skype always had suckish service...
Sylvia Else
2017-06-13 03:08:46 UTC
Post by Sylvia Else
The Skype "community" forums seem to be the blind leading the blind, and
the alleged "Contact Skype Support" does nothing of the kind.
Anyone here managed to send an SMS over Skype for Android, using version 8?
The information online talks about selecting a recipient, and then
pressing the "+" icon, but once a recipient is selected, the screen
changes and there's no longer a "+" icon to select.
I have this working on version 4, on an older phone, but that version
won't run on a more recent model (I tried).
Sylvia (who's very suspicious of alleged progress which breaks things).
Turned out this seems to be a known issue with version 8. It's not clear
whether it is intentional, or just something Microsoft have messed up.

The solution, for the time being, was to find an APK for version 7,
check that it's signed by the same certificate as for version 8, remove
version 8, install version 7 from the APK, and then go to the playstore
to disable automatic updates.

Sylvia.