No good deed
Marko Rauhamaa
2018-05-05 09:02:41 UTC

A Southern California man who built a sizable business out of
recycling electronic waste is headed to federal prison for 15 months
after a federal appeals court in Miami rejected his claim that the
"restore discs" he made to extend computers' lives had no financial
value, instead ruling that he had infringed on Microsoft Corp. to the
tune of $700,000.

[...]

"I am going to prison, and I've accepted it," Lundgren said Monday.
"What I'm not OK with is people not understanding why I'm going to
prison. Hopefully my story can shine some light on the e-waste
epidemic we have in the United States, how wasteful we are. At what
point do people stand up and say something? I didn't say something, I
just did it."
Sylvia Else
2018-05-06 10:30:20 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
A Southern California man who built a sizable business out of
recycling electronic waste is headed to federal prison for 15 months
after a federal appeals court in Miami rejected his claim that the
"restore discs" he made to extend computers' lives had no financial
value, instead ruling that he had infringed on Microsoft Corp. to the
tune of $700,000.
[...]
"I am going to prison, and I've accepted it," Lundgren said Monday.
"What I'm not OK with is people not understanding why I'm going to
prison. Hopefully my story can shine some light on the e-waste
epidemic we have in the United States, how wasteful we are. At what
point do people stand up and say something? I didn't say something, I
just did it."
That's what you get when you plead guilty. You get found guilty.

If he'd produced discs that automate the free download process, then
he'd have been OK.

Sylvia.
Voyager529
2018-05-06 16:00:18 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
A Southern California man who built a sizable business out of
recycling electronic waste is headed to federal prison for 15 months
after a federal appeals court in Miami rejected his claim that the
"restore discs" he made to extend computers' lives had no financial
value, instead ruling that he had infringed on Microsoft Corp. to the
tune of $700,000.
The other half of the story is missing though.

First, he was selling the discs. He wasn't giving them away, he was
selling them. Now, we can argue that the amount Microsoft is suing him for
is in excess of his gross revenue for the discs, but this isn't a
do-gooder helping people by burning CDs on their behalf.

Second, the discs were not labeled to the effect of "custom restore disc
for Dell Optiplex 775 by Eric Lundgren, including Microsoft Windows 7
Professional". They were labeled with Dell and Microsoft logos with the
intent to appear as if they were OEM discs, but were not.

Had Eric attempted to make it clear that he was an aftermarket vendor and
was not acting on behalf of either company, and had he billed for time
spent as opposed to for the discs themselves, the court case would
probably have gone much differently.