Amazon prepping a word processor
2018-06-22 04:53:55 UTC
From the «suck it, Word» department:
Title: Amazon tweaks its word processor for easier online Office edits
Author: Simon Sharwood
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 00:58:11 -0400
Link: http://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/22/aws_workdocs_hancom_alliance/

Which is just what you’d do if you planned to compete with Microsoft, perhaps?

Earlier this week we reported[1] that Amazon Web Services appears to be
planning the launch of a new end-user computing service that we speculated
could be a competitor for Office 365.…

Links:
[1]: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/18/aws_end_user_compute_jobs/ (link)

Posting to comp.misc, sci.misc, and misc.news.internet.discuss
maus
2018-06-28 09:04:05 UTC
Title: Amazon tweaks its word processor for easier online Office edits
Author: Simon Sharwood
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 00:58:11 -0400
Link: http://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/22/aws_workdocs_hancom_alliance/
Which is just what you’d do if you planned to compete with Microsoft, perhaps?
Earlier this week we reported[1] that Amazon Web Services appears to be
planning the launch of a new end-user computing service that we speculated
could be a competitor for Office 365.…
Yeah, Fight, Fight.
Post by RS Wood
[1]: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/18/aws_end_user_compute_jobs/ (link)
--
Posting to comp.misc, sci.misc, and misc.news.internet.discuss
--
greymaus.ireland.ie
Will Rant for Food
Michael Black
2018-06-28 15:26:57 UTC
Author: Simon Sharwood
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2018 00:58:11 -0400
Link: http://go.theregister.com/feed/www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/22/aws_workdocs_hancom_alliance/
Which is just what you’d do if you planned to compete with Microsoft, perhaps?
Earlier this week we reported[1] that Amazon Web Services appears to be
planning the launch of a new end-user computing service that we speculated
could be a competitor for Office 365.

Yeah, Fight, Fight.
But, you'll be able to order from Amazon right within the wordprocessor.
Type what you want, highlight it, then press a key combination and it will
soon arrive from Amazon.

And Amazon can read your thoughts. So whatever you are typing about,
suddenly you'll see relevant ads related to those thoughts. Maybe right
within the word processor.

Michael
Huge
2018-06-28 16:53:07 UTC
This message is in MIME format.
Please don't.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 33rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
Michael Black
2018-06-29 00:02:45 UTC
Post by Huge
This message is in MIME format.
Please don't.
It's not like I do it on purpose. Grouchy people love to tell me I'm
doing it wrong, but I didn't configure it this way, and clearly it's
reacting to the post I replied to.

It happens only so often, and nobody telling me not to do it is ever
helpful, so I just don't bother trying to figure out what's going on.

Michael
Richard Kettlewell
2018-06-29 07:33:20 UTC
Post by Michael Black
Post by Huge
This message is in MIME format.
Please don't.
It's not like I do it on purpose. Grouchy people love to tell me I'm
doing it wrong, but I didn't configure it this way, and clearly it's
reacting to the post I replied to.
It happens only so often, and nobody telling me not to do it is ever
helpful, so I just don't bother trying to figure out what's going on.
You’re using a buggy news client, is what’s going on. There’s no excuse
to use multipart/mixed for a single-part message, regardless of what
you’re following up to, and there’s no need to use quoted-printable in
news either; it’s been 8-bit-clean for years.
https://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/
Marko Rauhamaa
2018-06-29 08:24:10 UTC
Post by Richard Kettlewell
Post by Michael Black
Post by Huge
This message is in MIME format.
Please don't.
It's not like I do it on purpose. Grouchy people love to tell me I'm
doing it wrong, but I didn't configure it this way, and clearly it's
reacting to the post I replied to.
It happens only so often, and nobody telling me not to do it is ever
helpful, so I just don't bother trying to figure out what's going on.
You’re using a buggy news client, is what’s going on. There’s no
excuse to use multipart/mixed for a single-part message, regardless of
what you’re following up to, and there’s no need to use
quoted-printable in news either; it’s been 8-bit-clean for years.
MIME's fine. Quoted-printable's fine. Multipart with a single part is
fine. Computers can handle everything fine. Humans won't notice a thing.

8-bit-cleanness means nothing without a MIME header indicating the
character set. If your news client can handle full-octet content, it
should definitely be able to handle basic MIME as well.

Marko
Roger Blake
2018-06-28 16:15:06 UTC
Post by maus
Yeah, Fight, Fight.
Good luck to them. It's easier to get a junkie off of crack cocaine than
it is to get a user off Microsoft Office.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Marko Rauhamaa
2018-06-28 16:45:19 UTC
It's easier to get a junkie off of crack cocaine than it is to get a
user off Microsoft Office.
Good then I never got on.

Marko
Nyssa
2018-06-28 16:58:03 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
It's easier to get a junkie off of crack cocaine than it
is to get a user off Microsoft Office.
Good then I never got on.
Marko
It isn't even like Word was the best available word processor
out there when it was introduced. Or that it has improved over
time.

It's like the old saw "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM"
it became "nobody ever got fired for picking Microsoft
software." Forget about the best for the job at hand, or the
best interface, or the most useful features; just go by
the Microsoft logo and put up with the warts.

My favorite word processor was Ami Pro. Easy to use, useful
features, and a user could produce documents within fifteen
minutes of sitting down with it the first time. Loved it!

Wordstar was my first, and it was clunky, but got the job
done. Word Perfect was better, and adopted in many offices.

But then Word took over, offices and colleges/universities
required documents in the Word format, and they were locked
in even though better solutions were already out there.

The worst part is that the way Word does things (badly or
with difficulty) has made the Open Software word processors
go the same route, making them more difficult to use with
arcane interfaces. Open Office/Libre Office both have the
same things embedded that make me despise Word. They may
be "free," but that's the only thing that makes them
better than Word.

And yeah, I'm sure an amazon entry into the word processing
market will have "buy it now" features embedded along with
the requirement that all of your documents reside in their
cloud rather than on your own machine)s). Nope, no thank
you.

Nyssa, who wishes there were an Ami Pro clone for Linux
Marko Rauhamaa
2018-06-28 17:04:31 UTC
My favorite word processor was Ami Pro. Easy to use, useful features,
and a user could produce documents within fifteen minutes of sitting
down with it the first time. Loved it!
Wordstar was my first, and it was clunky, but got the job done. Word
Perfect was better, and adopted in many offices.
But then Word took over, offices and colleges/universities required
documents in the Word format, and they were locked in even though
better solutions were already out there.
I just never find a need for a word processor professionally or in my
personal life.

Marko
Nyssa
2018-06-28 19:54:25 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
Post by Nyssa
My favorite word processor was Ami Pro. Easy to use,
useful features, and a user could produce documents
within fifteen minutes of sitting down with it the first
time. Loved it!
Wordstar was my first, and it was clunky, but got the job
done. Word Perfect was better, and adopted in many
offices.
But then Word took over, offices and
colleges/universities required documents in the Word
format, and they were locked in even though better
solutions were already out there.
I just never find a need for a word processor
professionally or in my personal life.
Marko
I've done more than my share of reports that required
something more than a plain text editor, so a well-
designed word processor is a good tool to have. (Note:
I mostly used Wordstar in non-document mode for
programming.)

But it's even worse than schools requiring Word documents
now.

My neighbor's granddaughter has to do PowerPoint presentations
(instead of real term papers with all the footnoting, citations,
and bibliographies) both when she was an undergraduate and
now as a graduate student. Needless to say, her writing
skills aren't as sharp as they should be, nor are her
research skills since it seems all the students do now is
use a search engine. <sigh>

Microsoft and its Office suite has taken over both the
corporate as well as the academic world to the detriment
of both.

Nyssa, who has written many term papers, themes, theses,
reports, and proposals over the years and has done it all
without any part of Microsoft Office
Marko Rauhamaa
2018-06-28 20:38:25 UTC
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
I just never find a need for a word processor professionally or in my
personal life.
I've done more than my share of reports that required something more
than a plain text editor, so a well- designed word processor is a good
tool to have. (Note: I mostly used Wordstar in non-document mode for
programming.)
[...]
Microsoft and its Office suite has taken over both the corporate as
well as the academic world to the detriment of both.
Most of my typing (including this posting now) is done with a text
editor.

Other than that, different forms of Markdown, Wikis and even chats are
used for business documentation and communication.

(User documentation is often in the form of PDFs, but I don't know how
the Documentation team produces them.)

Marko
Andreas Eder
2018-07-01 10:50:32 UTC
Post by Nyssa
I've done more than my share of reports that required
something more than a plain text editor, so a well-
designed word processor is a good tool to have.
I just do all of that with LaTeX in Emacs.
What else do you need. The quality of the end result (a pdf document)
runs rings around any Word or Powerpoint document.

'Andreas

Huge
2018-06-28 17:37:54 UTC
Post by Nyssa
Post by Marko Rauhamaa
It's easier to get a junkie off of crack cocaine than it
is to get a user off Microsoft Office.
Good then I never got on.
Marko
It isn't even like Word was the best available word processor
out there when it was introduced. Or that it has improved over
time.
It's like the old saw "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM"
it became "nobody ever got fired for picking Microsoft
software." Forget about the best for the job at hand, or the
best interface, or the most useful features; just go by
the Microsoft logo and put up with the warts.
My wife used to be a secretary. A proper secretary; one who could take
shorthand, run a diary and organise an office. She was secretary to
someone fairly senior in the UK Government. (One of three, actually).
She can touch-type at some marvellous number of WPM. And she loathed
Word.

I spent some years writing technical documentation for what is, from
time to time, the world's largest bank. I was forced to use Word. I
loathed it, too.

Word is great for shopping lists and one page memos asking people to
keep the coffee machine clean. Other than that, it's a clunky,
unreliable, gigantic, overburdened with useless bells and whistles,
bug-ridden piece of donkey do-do.
--
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 33rd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
maus