Pegasus Mail 4.7.3 released
Shadow
2018-06-11 15:40:09 UTC
Download:
http://www.pmail.com/downloads_s3_t.htm

Changelogs:
http://www.pmail.com/v47x.htm

(this is for the guys and gals that still use it re Slashdot asks:
what's your favorite email client?)
;)
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
RS Wood
2018-06-11 18:27:01 UTC
On Mon, 11 Jun 2018 12:40:09 -0300
Post by Shadow
http://www.pmail.com/downloads_s3_t.htm
http://www.pmail.com/v47x.htm
what's your favorite email client?)
I see they still advertise a version for freaking DOS. Wow, that's
impressive. Internet access from a DOS machine is truly an interesting
endeavor - not for the slight of heart, I'm sure.
Huge
2018-06-11 18:38:16 UTC
Post by Shadow
http://www.pmail.com/downloads_s3_t.htm
http://www.pmail.com/v47x.htm
what's your favorite email client?)
I see they still advertise a version for freaking DOS. Wow, that's
impressive. Internet access from a DOS machine is truly an interesting
endeavor - not for the slight of heart, I'm sure.
It's how I started.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KA9Q
--
Today is Boomtime, the 16th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
RS Wood
2018-06-11 21:54:37 UTC
On 11 Jun 2018 18:38:16 GMT
Post by Huge
Post by RS Wood
I see they still advertise a version for freaking DOS. Wow, that's
impressive. Internet access from a DOS machine is truly an interesting
endeavor - not for the slight of heart, I'm sure.
It's how I started.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KA9Q
Hell, it's probably how a lot of us started. Interestingly, I hadn't
heard of KA9Q before - thought Trumpet Winsock was the only option.
Looks like you use it for a SLIP connection. How would that work:
serial line to your 300 baud acoustic coupler modem and a SLIP
connection agreement to your university (since that would predate ISPs)?

Was just thinking it would be cool to give this a try, but the reality
is I'm happy enough at a console with mutt and linux/freebsd. Would be
hard to justify leaving that environment for anything other than
nostalgia.

That said, let the hypocricy show: someone gets online with a C64 and I
think it's the coolest thing ever. Not sure what the mental watershed is.
Bob Eager
2018-06-11 23:40:50 UTC
Post by RS Wood
Post by Huge
Post by RS Wood
I see they still advertise a version for freaking DOS. Wow, that's
impressive. Internet access from a DOS machine is truly an
interesting endeavor - not for the slight of heart, I'm sure.
It's how I started.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KA9Q
Hell, it's probably how a lot of us started. Interestingly, I hadn't
heard of KA9Q before - thought Trumpet Winsock was the only option.
This wasn't for Windows - it was for DOS.
Post by RS Wood
serial line to your 300 baud acoustic coupler modem and a SLIP
connection agreement to your university (since that would predate ISPs)?
No, there was an ISP. Demon Internet, as I recall.

Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_Internet
--
Using UNIX since v6 (1975)...

Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org
Huge
2018-06-12 09:11:18 UTC
Post by RS Wood
On 11 Jun 2018 18:38:16 GMT
Post by Huge
Post by RS Wood
I see they still advertise a version for freaking DOS. Wow, that's
impressive. Internet access from a DOS machine is truly an interesting
endeavor - not for the slight of heart, I'm sure.
It's how I started.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KA9Q
Hell, it's probably how a lot of us started. Interestingly, I hadn't
heard of KA9Q before - thought Trumpet Winsock was the only option.
KA9Q runs under *DOS*.
Post by RS Wood
serial line to your 300 baud acoustic coupler modem and a SLIP
connection agreement to your university (since that would predate ISPs)?
If you'd read the link, you'd see that there was a UK ISP in the very
early days that recommended KA9Q as its connection software. IIRC, it
worked very well.
--
Today is Pungenday, the 17th day of Confusion in the YOLD 3184
Adrian Caspersz
2018-06-12 17:48:00 UTC
Post by Huge
Post by RS Wood
Post by RS Wood
serial line to your 300 baud acoustic coupler modem and a SLIP
connection agreement to your university (since that would predate ISPs)?
If you'd read the link, you'd see that there was a UK ISP in the very
early days that recommended KA9Q as its connection software. IIRC, it
worked very well.
Yup,

I got my first copy of KA9Q on a 3.5" floppy disc attached to the front
of a UK "What Net" magazine, with articles in that written mostly by a
friend of mine. Got me started on Demon, reading newsgroups, and
trawling around FTP sites. 14.4kbps modem was, well - I didn't know faster.

Lots of that for me now long forgotten, but yup was all text mode DOS
stuff.

Someone should do a retro youtube vid on KA9Q/DOS internet, it would be
more entertaining than the "kids react to the wheel" genre that is
overdone out there.
Adrian C
Anssi Saari
2018-06-12 08:22:51 UTC
Post by RS Wood
I see they still advertise a version for freaking DOS. Wow, that's
impressive. Internet access from a DOS machine is truly an interesting
endeavor - not for the slight of heart, I'm sure.
I have a vague memory of loading some packet driver, dialing in with
kermit, setting up IP addresses somehow with slip and then it was
possible to use NCSA Telnet which handily also included an FTP
server. So compared to just dialing in for a terminal session, I could
chat on IRC while sending or receiving files with FTP.

This was in 1991 with a 2400 bps modem.
Computer Nerd Kev
2018-06-12 23:12:33 UTC
Post by RS Wood
I see they still advertise a version for freaking DOS. Wow, that's
impressive. Internet access from a DOS machine is truly an interesting
endeavor - not for the slight of heart, I'm sure.
I was going to post a link to the DOS Ain't Dead Forum, where a lot
of recent DOS releases, including internet software, are announced.

However, umm, the link's dead...

Seemingly for maintenance though, so maybe it will be back.
http://www.bttr-software.de/forum/forum.php
--
__ __