Can the new Firefox Quantum regain its web browser market share?
Rich
2017-11-24 18:34:32 UTC
<URL:https://amosbbatto.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/mozilla-market-share/>

Quoting from the URL above:

When Firefox was introduced in 2004, it was designed to be a lean and
optimized web browser, based on the bloated code from the Mozilla Suite.
Between 2004 and 2009, many considered Firefox to be the best web
browser, since it was faster, more secure, offered tabbed browsing and
was more customizable through extensions than Microsoft's Internet
Explorer. When Chrome was introduced in 2008, it took many of Firefox's
best ideas and improved on them. Since 2010, Chrome has eaten away at
Firefox's market share, relegating Firefox to a tiny niche of free
software enthusiasts and tinkerers who like the customization of its XUL
extensions.

According to StatCounter, Firefox's market share of web browsers has
fallen from 31.8% in December 2009 to just 6.1% today. Firefox can take
comfort in the fact that it is now virtually tied with its former
arch-nemesis, Internet Explorer and its variants. All of Microsoft's
browsers only account for 6.2% of current web browsing according to
StatCounter. Microsoft has largely been replaced by Google, whose web
browsers now controls 56.5% of the market. Even worse, is the fact that
the WebKit engine used by Google now represents over 83% of web
browsing, so web sites are increasingly focusing on compatibility with
just one web engine. While Google and Apple are more supportive of W3C
and open standards than Microsoft was in the late 90s, the web is
increasingly being monopolized by one web engine and two companies,
whose business models are not always based on the best interests of
users or their rights.

Batchman
2017-11-25 21:27:04 UTC
Post by Rich
and open standards than Microsoft was in the late 90s, the web is
increasingly being monopolized by ONE web engine and TWO companies,
whose business models are not always based on the best interests of
users or their rights.
(Emphasis above added)

To quote the Bard, `Aye, there's the rub!'
Stefan Ram
2017-11-26 11:22:42 UTC
Firefox Quantum
Well, the spelling reminds me of a Quantum Fireball
if anyone still remembers what that was!
Rich
2017-11-26 13:11:53 UTC
Firefox Quantum
Well, the spelling reminds me of a Quantum Fireball if anyone still
remembers what that was!
You are referring to the disk drive made by the Quantum Corporation
somewhere in the mid to late 90's, right?
Johnny B Good
2017-11-26 14:03:07 UTC
Post by Rich
Firefox Quantum
Well, the spelling reminds me of a Quantum Fireball if anyone still
remembers what that was!
You are referring to the disk drive made by the Quantum Corporation
somewhere in the mid to late 90's, right?
Ah! *That's* why the name sounded so familiar! I might even still have
one in my collection of retired drives as a reminder of the days when HDDs
used to outlive their usefulness rather than, as is now the case, the
other way round (The only Seagate drive I ever used in a PC was a 20MB
unit - Seagate's pricing was a bit too rich for me even before they were
cursed by the Maxtor Factor of running too bloody hot for all but the
coolest of PC case designs).
Johnny B Good
Stefan Ram
Yes.
Ant
2017-11-27 01:57:47 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
Firefox Quantum
Well, the spelling reminds me of a Quantum Fireball
if anyone still remembers what that was!
I had those HDDs according to my detailed history:
Fireball Plus LM 30 GB HDD (7200 RPM; EIDE)
Quantum Fireball Plus LM 15 GB
Quantum 6.4 GB HDD
:D
--
Quote of the Week: "After World War III, the ants will still be around." --unknown
| |o o| |
( ) ing, then please kindly use Ant nickname and AQFL URL/link.
RS Wood
2018-06-05 21:06:52 UTC
On Fri, 24 Nov 2017 18:34:32 +0000 (UTC)
Post by Rich
<URL:https://amosbbatto.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/mozilla-market-share/>
When Firefox was introduced in 2004, it was designed to be a lean and
optimized web browser, based on the bloated code from the Mozilla Suite.
Between 2004 and 2009, many considered Firefox to be the best web
browser, since it was faster, more secure, offered tabbed browsing and
Answer seems to be "no." Netmarketshare claims mozilla is now below
10%, Chrome is over 60%, and lots of little stuff fills in the gaps
(Edge is at 4%). Mozilla is dropping.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/06/04/firefox-dropped-below-the-10-share-value-on-netmarketshare/

Some commentary here:
https://soylentnews.org/article.pl?sid=18/06/05/0218239
Dirk T. Verbeek
2018-06-13 13:06:42 UTC
Post by Rich
<URL:https://amosbbatto.wordpress.com/2017/11/21/mozilla-market-share/>
When Firefox was introduced in 2004, it was designed to be a lean and
optimized web browser, based on the bloated code from the Mozilla Suite.
Between 2004 and 2009, many considered Firefox to be the best web
browser, since it was faster, more secure, offered tabbed browsing and
Answer seems to be "no." Netmarketshare claims mozilla is now below
10%, Chrome is over 60%,
Google is laughing all the way to the bank :(
The world needs more awareness and appreciation of privacy.
RS Wood
2018-06-14 02:13:58 UTC
Post by RS Wood
and lots of little stuff fills in the gaps
(Edge is at 4%). Mozilla is dropping.
I don't disagree with you. But Mozilla also needs to up its game. Google
beat out Mozilla back in the day by ... building a better browser. Firefox
may have caught up, but no one noticed because they were happy with Chrome.
Worse, newer versions of Firefox alienated popular plug-ins and developers
didn't bother to keep up. I lost "It's all text" and never got it back, for
example.

Firefox got fat, lazy, and sloppy in its glory days, and lacked the maturity
to keep laser-focused on its mission. A real rookie mistake.

If Google's laughing, it's because the Mozilla foundation was so easy to
play for a fool.