How do people live with MS Windows ????
Jim Jackson
2024-05-16 20:32:40 UTC
Tonight I borrowed ny wife's MS Windows 10 home Laptop to take to a
meeting where I was to give a presentation. I'd logged in to my account
at home and it ll appeared to be working fine - there was the usual odd
pause etcwhich I assumed was the usual updates because I'd not logged in
for a week or so.

At the venue, as soon as I switrched on the laptop it went in the
"updating do not switch off" thingy. 15 minutes later it's still doing
it so my presentation has to be abandonned (end of meeting time).

So how do people put up with this? I'm assuming that in business with
Windoes Pro or whateever, this can be controlled so updates don't
interrupt important events. Can it be controlled on the home edition?

I don't use MS Windows on my desktop so don't have this sort of thing
to deal with normally.

Is there any way of taming MS windows updates?
Andy Burns
Before setting up for a presentation you can pause updates (for 1-5 weeks)
Jim Jackson
Ah news to me - I will google it.
Andy Burns
2024-05-17 05:12:32 UTC
Start/Settings/WindowsUpdate/PauseUpdates
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-05-16 23:00:12 UTC
Post by Andy Burns
Post by Jim Jackson
At the venue, as soon as I switrched on the laptop it went in the
"updating do not switch off" thingy. 15 minutes later it's still doing
it so my presentation has to be abandonned (end of meeting time).
Before setting up for a presentation you can pause updates (for 1-5 weeks)
You have to remember to do that before it actually starts doing the
updates.

This is why they say, Windows is a great OS -- if your time is worth
nothing.
David LaRue
2024-05-16 23:55:54 UTC
Post by Jim Jackson
[...]
Windows ?? Pro or higher usually allows the user to delay an impending update
for a day or so. The typical Win ?? User version does what it wants when it
wants to.
Andy Burns
2024-05-17 05:14:55 UTC
Post by David LaRue
Windows ?? Pro or higher usually allows the user to delay an impending update
Home didn't used to allow it, but does now (actually I don't know what
10 allows now, as all my machines are 11, O/P will need to check for
himself).
The Real Bev
2024-05-17 02:50:05 UTC
Post by Jim Jackson
Tonight I borrowed ny wife's MS Windows 10 home Laptop to take to a
meeting where I was to give a presentation. I'd logged in to my account
at home and it ll appeared to be working fine - there was the usual odd
pause etcwhich I assumed was the usual updates because I'd not logged in
for a week or so.
At the venue, as soon as I switrched on the laptop it went in the
"updating do not switch off" thingy. 15 minutes later it's still doing
it so my presentation has to be abandonned (end of meeting time).
So how do people put up with this? I'm assuming that in business with
Windoes Pro or whateever, this can be controlled so updates don't
interrupt important events. Can it be controlled on the home edition?
That's the nice thing about old versions -- NO MORE UPDATES! Win7 was
good about asking before it did one, and I only did the 'essential' ones.
Post by Jim Jackson
I don't use MS Windows on my desktop so don't have this sort of thing
to deal with normally.
Windows 11 is worse. It was seemingly designed for people who use it
only for entertainment and don't want to be bothered with anything else.
I'm REALLY sorry I let the Win10 Lenovo laptop update to 11.

The only time I use windows (win7, which doesn't hurt as much as it
could) is for tax prep. I don't need more learning experiences :-(
Post by Jim Jackson
Is there any way of taming MS windows updates?
There MUST be....
--
Cheers, Bev
A recent psychic fair was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances.
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-05-17 03:31:38 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
That's the nice thing about old versions -- NO MORE UPDATES!
Would you entrust mission-critical business operations to obsolete,
unsupported software?
The Real Bev
2024-05-17 07:16:12 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by The Real Bev
That's the nice thing about old versions -- NO MORE UPDATES!
Would you entrust mission-critical business operations to obsolete,
unsupported software?
No idea. Fortunately, I don't have to.

BTW, did you know that the Voyagers are run on FORTRAN?
Cheers, Bev
Marco Moock
2024-05-17 07:25:32 UTC
Post by The Real Bev
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by The Real Bev
That's the nice thing about old versions -- NO MORE UPDATES!
Would you entrust mission-critical business operations to obsolete,
unsupported software?
No idea. Fortunately, I don't have to.
In most cases, it is a really bad idea, because everything that is
connected to a network (almost all machines are) might be attacked.
Attackers love systems with outdated software, because old bugs still
exist there and finding exploits will be easy.

Another bad thing about old software is that it often runs on old
hardware only. That means you need to have working spare parts in your
stock and that will be hard to find after decades.
--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to ***@cartoonies.org
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-05-17 07:51:40 UTC
Post by Marco Moock
Another bad thing about old software is that it often runs on old
hardware only. That means you need to have working spare parts in your
stock and that will be hard to find after decades.
Some people like to tout the excuse “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. The
potential trouble with that is, if/when it does finally break, they are
liable to discover they have no idea how to fix it.
Marco Moock
2024-05-17 08:33:12 UTC
Post by Lawrence D'Oliveiro
Post by Marco Moock
Another bad thing about old software is that it often runs on old
hardware only. That means you need to have working spare parts in
your stock and that will be hard to find after decades.
Some people like to tout the excuse “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix
it”. The potential trouble with that is, if/when it does finally
break, they are liable to discover they have no idea how to fix it.
The main problem with that is that often the people who set it up
initially aren't working there anymore. Or spare parts are not
available anymore, especially servers often need special parts from the
manufacturer and refuse to work with stuff from others. Just think
about the bullshit with SFP modules.
--
kind regards
Marco

Send spam to ***@cartoonies.org
Lawrence D'Oliveiro
2024-05-17 07:50:21 UTC
A language which is still being developed and supported.
Stefan Ram
2024-05-17 10:10:35 UTC
Post by Jim Jackson
So how do people put up with this? I'm assuming that in business with
Windoes Pro or whateever, this can be controlled so updates don't
interrupt important events. Can it be controlled on the home edition?
I've worked in educational institutions with Windows 10 PCs, and
sometimes the admins there had them rigged so updates didn't get
slapped on right after starting Windows, but only when ending
a session. If I'm not mistaken, there'd sometimes be a roughly
5-minute delay after firing up Windows too, but if the whole
gig lasted several hours, that time was no skin off my back.
Stefan Ram
2024-05-17 10:49:02 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
I've worked in educational institutions with Windows 10 PCs, and
sometimes the admins there had them rigged so updates didn't get
slapped on right after starting Windows, but only when ending
a session. If I'm not mistaken, there'd sometimes be a roughly
5-minute delay after firing up Windows too, but if the whole
gig lasted several hours, that time was no skin off my back.
Way I remember it, when wrapping up a sesh, Windows 10 would
fetch data over the internet, which can take a hot minute.
But there were some things that could only get the green light
after a reboot. Those would run on the next startup, but didn't
usually drag on too long since they didn't need to haul in data
remotely. More often than not, they'd only set you back a couple
minutes. That said, I could see that process hitting the skids if
a ton of updates piled up or you were working with a sluggish rig.
Stefan Ram
2024-06-15 12:21:35 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
I've worked in educational institutions with Windows 10 PCs, and
sometimes the admins there had them rigged so updates didn't get
slapped on right after starting Windows, but only when ending
a session. If I'm not mistaken, there'd sometimes be a roughly
5-minute delay after firing up Windows too, but if the whole
gig lasted several hours, that time was no skin off my back.
I just stumbled upon a photo of a note that the computer admin had
left in a classroom in 2013. This pic totally backs up my memory.
I'm gonna go ahead and quote the translated text from the photo:

|Please Note!
|
|When shutting down the PCs, updates may potentially be installed!
|
|Turn off the main power switch only after the PCs have
|powered down themselves. If it takes a long time, leave the
|main power switch on! (Administrator's initials)

, In the original German:

.
mm0fmf
2024-05-20 21:19:22 UTC
Post by Jim Jackson
So how do people put up with this?
They're smart enough to know how the OS works and handles its updates so
this doesn't happen. i.e. they update well before they intend to present
or they disable updates temporarily before presenting or they make sure
they don't go online before presenting.

Just because you are clueless about the OS doesn't mean everyone else is.
Jim Jackson
2024-05-21 15:33:29 UTC
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Jim Jackson
So how do people put up with this?
They're smart enough to know how the OS works and handles its updates so
this doesn't happen. i.e. they update well before they intend to present
or they disable updates temporarily before presenting or they make sure
they don't go online before presenting.
Just because you are clueless about the OS doesn't mean everyone else is.
:-) point taken. BUT, as I understand it, the ability to prevent
updates for a period is a (comparatively) recent introduction.

The fact that one can prevent updates for a period came as news to many
MS Windows users I've chatted to about this with, some of them pretty au
fait the OS. So it appears that there are a LOT of us "dumbos" out there.

I have always understood that for the home edition the machine updated
when it needed to - so how do you force it to update earlier as you say
above?
mm0fmf
2024-05-23 15:54:59 UTC
Post by Jim Jackson
some of them pretty au
fait the OS
No they're not au fait at all. If they were au fait they would know this
and many other things people moan about and how to deal with it.
Jim Jackson
2024-05-24 20:32:41 UTC
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Jim Jackson
some of them pretty au
fait the OS
No they're not au fait at all. If they were au fait they would know this
and many other things people moan about and how to deal with it.
Ah! so you aren't going to be at all helpfull. I did ask for help and
you clipped that bit. I think I have your measure.
mm0fmf
2024-05-25 15:46:05 UTC
Post by Jim Jackson
Post by mm0fmf
Post by Jim Jackson
some of them pretty au
fait the OS
No they're not au fait at all. If they were au fait they would know this
and many other things people moan about and how to deal with it.
Ah! so you aren't going to be at all helpfull. I did ask for help and
you clipped that bit. I think I have your measure.
You're right, I missed that bit.

You can pause updates for 7 days on the Update page. Or you can go to
advanced options and pause it until a certain date. I'm not sure
(because I don't use this option) that there are some updates of such
importance that the pause until option can be overridden.

This Windows machine is set to check for updates but prompt to install
them. That means it wants me to manually start the update. This is not
the default. There are assorted ways of doing this, I used the group
policy editor to change the option.

Now most of my presentations etc. done at work are done on a works
laptop where my employer's IT group are in charge of the updates. All
the updates that involve possible reboots or restarting key apps pop up
a warning saying updates need to be installed etc. and I have to OK that
or I can delay it for 1hr or 4hrs before being prompted again. This is
not typical of domestic environments. Non-work presentations are now
normally done on a Linux laptop. I use both Linux and Windows (and run
the same browser/email/tools on both OS). Sometimes I have used a Win
laptop for non-work presentations normally because I need to demo a
Windows only program and normally follow the following plan.

1. Go to Update and check for outstanding updates.
2. Install them.
3. Reboot as required.
4. Check for updates again. Repeat till none.
5. Pause updates for 7 days.

That's normally enough and is done a few hours before the presentation.
Present then enable updates after it's done. I tend to disable
networking so there are no email received or instant message received
messages. It also stops some apps which I have set to check for updates
but prompt to install from popping up.

It really isn't hard. You are going to present using WonderWindows (tm)
so you do what's needed to stop Windows fannying about for the length of
the presentation.

What's that old saying a teacher of mine used to say 45 years
ago..."Fail to prepare? Then prepare to fail!"
Stefan Ram
2024-05-21 15:57:00 UTC
How do people live with MS Windows ????
People with MS Windows can live fulfilling lives by managing
their symptoms and making lifestyle adjustments.

Update-modifying therapies (UMTs) can slow Windows progression
by modulating the Microsoft Windows Updates, so that people
can enjoy extended periods of Windows 7 before stages like
Windows 10, or even 11.

Taking walks away from the MS Windows computer helps manage
specific symptoms like pain and fatigue.

Steroids can help reduce inflammation while working with the
actual Windows software and Windows application programs.

Physiotherapy helps improve functions lost after extended
MS Windows sessions and manage any possible disabilities.
Mike Spencer
2024-05-21 18:19:40 UTC
Post by Stefan Ram
How do people live with MS Windows ????
People with MS Windows can live fulfilling lives by managing
their symptoms and making lifestyle adjustments.
Update-modifying therapies (UMTs) can slow Windows progression
by modulating the Microsoft Windows Updates, so that people
can enjoy extended periods of Windows 7 before stages like
Windows 10, or even 11.
Taking walks away from the MS Windows computer helps manage
specific symptoms like pain and fatigue.
Steroids can help reduce inflammation while working with the
actual Windows software and Windows application programs.
Physiotherapy helps improve functions lost after extended
MS Windows sessions and manage any possible disabilities.
()()()

Just so. The prospect of a radical OS transplant is pretty scary.
Mike Spencer Nova Scotia, Canada
Anton Shepelev
2024-06-15 21:19:07 UTC
How do people live with MS Windows ????
They don't. They drag a miserable existence.
(Sorry, I couldn't help it)
/\ www.asciiribbon.org -- against proprietary attachments